VMware Cloud Community
benxxben
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 5.5 licenses confusion

I use VMware for many many years, always the free versions, starting with vmware server 2.0. And I have to state, I never ever understood, why vmware server 2.0 was free while vmware workstation was so expensive ...

And now I'm urged to license VMware "whatever", because I didn't find out, what I really need to license.

Fact is: There is a IBM BladeCenter S full with 6 BladeServer HS21 with each 2 processor and a lot of RAM, 16-64GB each.

They all run ESXi 4.0-5.5, I don't care if they are "supported", they run.

I use Sphere Client with each of them. So I open 6 times the client and can do whatever I want to do.

I would like to keep the 6 servers into ONE Sphere Client. I want to move one virtual machine from one server to another. I want to take automatic snapshots of all virtual machines.

So my question is:

What license I will need? Why is it so difficult for someone, who never ever spent money on VMware, to spend money on VMware?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

@

The physical memory limitation has been removed with ESXi 5.5.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If its just Single management pane, vMotion and snapshots are your concern then you need to buy either two essentials plus kits or you could buy vCenter standard license with vSphere Standard licenses since you have six hosts. Free ESXi won't be able to join a vCenter. So if you want centralized management you will need to buy both vCenter as well as ESXi license.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

To add to 's post: In order to manage more than 3 hosts, you need at least vSphere Standard licenses. To be precise, one license for vCenter Server Standard and 12 CPU licenses for your ESXi hosts (per socket licensing). If this is your first purchase, it may be worth looking at the Acceleration Kits, which could save you some money for the initial purchase (see http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vsphere_pricing.pdf).

André

benxxben
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you very much for your help!

Ok, I thought I just didn't find the "correct" licenses, but you directed me to those I found already, but I never could imagine those prices are "real".

So I had to pay about twice the worth of my servers to get some more convenience, ok, I prefer to stay with the free ESXi 😉

Is there an open source solution for my needs to manage 6 ESXi servers you could recommend?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Not an open source solution, but maybe VMware Workstation fits your requirements. However, it won't allow you to use advanced features like vMotion etc.

You can download VMware Workstation and run it in evaluation mode for 30 days.

André

0 Kudos
sergeadam
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You can stay with free, but you lose features. Also, free is limited to 32GB RAM per host.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

@

The physical memory limitation has been removed with ESXi 5.5.

André

0 Kudos
benxxben
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

But it has also removed the possibility to manage the 5.5 ESXi with Windows XP Smiley Sad

OMG, why did they removed it? There is nothing new to Win7 what Win XP can't handle @VMware Sphere Client ...

I just realized, because the only 5.5 ESXi I've installed from Win7, and now I have to realize it can not be handled by Sphere Client from XP.

Good job @VMware, now I have to search for another VM solution, but it's no loss for you, I never paid any money on VMware.

Even Win98SE would be enough to handle ESXi 5.5, I'm sure as hell!

You can do it commandline, so even DOS 5.0 would be enough ...

0 Kudos