VMware Cloud Community
useraf
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.5 license can't works with Veeam Backup

I'm working with ESXi 5.5 (2068190) Evaluation (x days remaining).

To do VM backups I'm using Veeam Backup 7.0

All is working fine.

When I put my license into ESXi, Veeam Backup can't do the backups jobs. With Veeam Backup 8.0 is the same problem.

Product: VMware vSphere 5 Hypervisor Licensed for 2 physical CPUs (unlimited cores per CPU)

License Key: 54xxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxx1Q

Expires: Never

After that I deleted the license and all works fine again.

Any idea to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance

Message was edited by: Darius Davis - Obscured license key.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The vSphere API is restricted with the free Hypervisor edition, that's why most commercial application require a paid license in order to work. Even the least expensive Essentials edition will do.

André

useraf
Contributor
Contributor

a.p. (André) thank you for your response.

I'm going to evaluate if I need other license to still using Veeam or if It's better to choose other Vmware product.

Please, any recommendation? (I need to automatize the backup process)

Thanks in advance

Regards

Mensaje editado por: useraf

Mensaje editado por: useraf

0 Kudos
ch1ta
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Any image-level backup solution will require paid vSphere license. So, if I were you, I'd buy the least expensive license and keep using Veeam to protect my virtual infrastructure.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
useraf
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks ch1ta for your recomendation

regards

0 Kudos
useraf
Contributor
Contributor

Hello again,

I'm looking for others backup solutions and this option looks likes very interesting (and free) : lamw/ghettoVCB · GitHub

Anybody has worked with ghettoVCB?

I need to evaluate this two "finalist" options (after discards vBackup and Acronis for differents reasons) : Automatize ghettoVCB in the ESXi cron or buy a Veeam license

thanks in advance

0 Kudos
JarryG
Expert
Expert

I have been using ghettoVCB for some time. It is working on its own, and doing its job right. Basically it is a script (you can start regulary from crontab), which first makes temporary snapshot, then backup of that snapshot, and finally temporary snapshot is removed. I have not noticed any problems, even VM-restoring works as expected. It can backup even running VMs, and can create compressed backups too. So if you are looking for automatic backup solution, ghettoVCB might be the right tool for you. Once you edit its configuration file and set it run regulary, you can forget about it (till the next time you need to restore some VM)...

Instead of Veeam you could also try Trilead VM Explorer or Thinware vBackup. Both are free and said to work even with free ESXi (hypervisor). I personally tested just Trilead VM Explorer some time ago, and it worked well. Seems to me to be better suited for one-time backups...

VMware Front Experience: Free backup for free ESXi: Thinware vBackup vs. Trilead VM Explorer

_____________________________________________ If you found my answer useful please do *not* mark it as "correct" or "helpful". It is hard to pretend being noob with all those points! 😉
useraf
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much JarryG.

I was intalled the Thinware vBackup application but requires others VMware products like Virtual Disk Development Kit Application Directory, Consolidate Backup Application Directory, vCenter Converter.

With Veeam Backup all works fine, but it's an expensive solution...

I'm going to evaluate these free options :  ghettoVCB (If this script permits many VM backups at the same time with a secondary location) and Trilead VM Explorer (If this application can works with a free ESXi (Hypervisor) accepting EULA)

Regards

0 Kudos