VMware Cloud Community
vtparker
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.5 install fails on HP MicroSD

Installing the HP ESXi5.5 September 2015 image to new HP DL360 Gen9 server

The installer picks up the 8GB SD as 7.42GB drive.  but after hitting F11 for install, it pauses at 5% and throws an error (see attached)

Google doesn't show much on this other than a possible scratch partition warning that shouldn't stop the install. 

HP Support was initially engaged because the server wasn't picking up the internal MicroSD.  iLO was updated to the latest and recommended vmware support for this install error.

I'd rather not install on the HDD's as we will be using them for a VDP appliance that will be installed here on the host.

Any input or anyone with thoughts on a resolution is appreciated

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Only a thought. I'd remove the Micro-SD card from the host and attach it to e.g. a PC to see whether it contains any partition information. If so cleanup this information, and run the installation again with the empty Micro-SD card.

André

0 Kudos
mcrape
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Similar to Andre's response, I would also try a new SD card. To me it looks like there is a problem with the storage.

It looks like this KB relates to your issue as well: VMware KB: ESXi 5.x installation fails with the error: Device path name is not a valid absolute or r...

0 Kudos