VMware Cloud Community
JakeAlamdar
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.5 host automatically goes into maintenance mode when rebooted and I am unable to manually enter host configuration

Hello,

I am having an issue with my ESXi 5.5 host. I am running the following:

Host: DELL Power Edge R620

RAM: 48 GB

CPU: Dual Intel Xeon E5-2660 2.20GHz

Initial ESXi Version: ESXi v5.1 U1 (upgraded to 5.5 to get around RAM constrictions on the free licensing)

This issue is, ever since the upgrade to ESXi 5.5 every time I reboot the host it will reboot with maintenance mode enabled. This is a big problem for me as the VMs on the host are removed (as it is a stand alone host so it doesn't migrate the VMs to another host). Has anyone experienced this before?

The second issue is since the upgrade to ESXi 5.5 i am unable to enter the hosts settings manually (pressing F2 on the host to enter the IP address and VLANs and so on). Nothing happens, I have tried multiple key boards, different USB ports, made sure the USB ports are enabled (they do work as I can enter the BIOS).

I am not sure if I am over looking something very simple, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you require any more information.

Kind Regards,

-Jake

0 Kudos
4 Replies
herwonowr
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

For first issue, you can check whether maintenance mode is active, use esxcli

# esxcli system maintenanceMode get

and for second issue. Is it possible to log in using the vSphere client?

If you found this or any other answer helpful, please consider to award points. (use Correct or Helpful buttons) Regards, HR.
0 Kudos
JakeAlamdar
Contributor
Contributor

Hi herwonowr,

Thank you for the reply. Ok I have run that command  # esxcli system maintenanceMode get and maintenance mode is disabled.

esxi5.5.JPG

I do have access to the vSphere client.

Cheers,

-Jake

0 Kudos
zXi_Gamer
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

since the upgrade to ESXi 5.5 every time I reboot the host it will reboot with maintenance mode enabled

Going by the scenario that you are using plain install instead of autodeploy, can you check the /var/log/syslog.log file and look for "maintenance" word and find out which activity leads to host being in maintenance mode.?

Also, are the hosts upgraded by VUM?

0 Kudos
JakeAlamdar
Contributor
Contributor

Hi zXi_Gamer,

I had a look at the logs, and I couldn't find anything with maintenance in it, I took a copy of it and ran a search on it.

No, I didn't use VUM to update the hosts. I did it manually.

Cheers,

-Jake

0 Kudos