VMware Cloud Community
BaijuNSHFX
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.5 _ dd command

Hi,

I am copying  image using DD command in ESXi5.5 servers for USB flash drive .

I am getting "input/output" error.

is there any other command I can use to copy image to a separate location or another USB ?

would it be possible to install "ddrescure" command module over ESXI5.5 box  ?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
aakalan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

you cannot install ddrescue to esxi.

what are you trying to do? could you please summarize the goal you want to achieve, maybe there is another method I can suggest.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Do you want to copy a flat.vmdk with an I/O error to another datastore ? Then ddrescue is indeed the tool you need. ESXi does not come with anything that can acchieve similar results.

Option 1: split the one dd-command in x-lines each one using a count of 1 only - only makes sense if you have a good idea where the I/O error is located.

Option 2. use a Linux helper VM. Use sshfs to connect to the ESXi. Mount the target directory in writeable mode. Mount the  source-directory in readonly mode. Change directory to the target directory and run ddrescue - dont forget to create a log-file.
Option 2 works very well - I use that a lot during my recovery work.

Option 3: it is really possible to install ddrescue on esxi but the work to do so makes no sense when compared witzh option 2.

Option 4: boot the esxi-host with a Linux LiveCD that has vmfs-tools installed - only makes sense if the USB-drive is the target.

Ulli

Feel free to call me on skype - I do this stuff almost every day ...

0 Kudos
BaijuNSHFX
Contributor
Contributor

aakalan,

Thank you.  

We installed ESXI5.5 on USB flash drive.  I am trying to make image of USB flash drive copy as backup  copy for to ESXi6.5 upgrade.

Looks like USB media is corrupted getting "input/output error".

0 Kudos
BaijuNSHFX
Contributor
Contributor

continuum,

We installed ESXi5.5 on USB flash drive and planning to upgrade to 6.5 so prior to that I would like to take a backup of USB drive using "dd" command.

ESXi dd command is failing as "input/output"

I will try suggested options .

Thank you

0 Kudos
aakalan
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

there is no such point back up esxi image. its just work like live iso. ip assignment, dns, ntp.. thats all. I've upgraded like maybe 10.000 times, it never failed. when its failed you always roll back option.

0 Kudos