VMware Cloud Community
mark_r1
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.5 client integration plugin fails to install hcmon driver

I'm trying to install the v5.5 client integration plugin on Windows 7 but get a 'Failed to install hcmon driver' error during install. I get the following error in the Application event log

Failed to create restore point (Process = C:\Windows\system32\msiexec.exe /V; Description = Installed VMware Client Integration Plug-in 5.5.0; Error = 0x80070422).

This goes away after disabling System Protection but the installer still fails with the same message. I now get the following information event in the Application event log:

Windows Installer installed the product. Product Name: VMware Client Integration Plug-in 5.5.0. Product Version: 5.5.0.1280541. Product Language: 1033. Manufacturer: VMware, Inc.. Installation success or error status: 1603.

I've uploaded the log from the last attempt, can anyone see why this might still be failing?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I feel it's a permission issue. Do you have the required privileges?

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
mark_r1
Contributor
Contributor

Forgot to mention I ran the installer as Administrator so shouldn't be permissions related.

0 Kudos
dbutch1976
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Same issue here on a Windows XP 32 bit VM.  I seem to remember having this issue previously on a Windows 8 machine, but i fixed it somehow.  Do you recall the resolution for this issue?

0 Kudos
joshwallace
Contributor
Contributor

I am having this issue also on Windows 7 64bit too, is there a solution to this issue?

0 Kudos
JJCallaghan
Contributor
Contributor

Any news on this? Any further updates?

I'm running Win7 (64) and have read threads about IE versions and .Net versions. Tried every permutation I can think of. Unistalling .net and using other versions etc. Get this error every time - a few colleagues and I having same issue. This is with 5.1 and 5.5.

0 Kudos
AaronMoss
Contributor
Contributor

I had this problem earlier today...it turned out that I had Windows Updates that were installed and required a reboot. After the reboot, it installed cleanly. I'm on a Win7 x64 box. I know it seems kind of obvious, but it worked for me. Hope this helps someone else.

Aaron    

0 Kudos