VMware Cloud Community
Karl112
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 5.5 U1 does not detect local drives on HP DL380 G7 during install

Hello,

i am new in testing with vmware ESXi 5.5.

I did one instalation on older Server (DL380 G5), that went fine (i only had to add drivers to monitor P400 Controler healt).

Now i am trying to intall ESXi 5.5. U1 onto HP DL380 G7 with HP Smart Array P410i Controller, and attached is a HP StorageWorks NAS too.

I am having an issue that my local drives are not detected during setup. NAS logical drives are detected.

Processor is E5620.

First i tried with the image not specified  for HP, then also the one i found though HP site, both ESX 5.5 U1. Same behaviour.

I still have a bootable Win 2K3 R2 on the server, and the array controler runs fine, there are 3 SAS disks in Raid 1 + spare. One logical drive.

I updated P410i FW to version 6.00-2. I ran PSP 8.7B to update what can be updated. Still no effect. I even tested it on its future cluster 2nd host(without updateing), but it does the same.

I pressume I am doing something wrong maybe, because if it detects older P400 Array controllers on other locations so it should also the new ones.

Cant really change the array controller physically as i am doing it remotely.

Any hints are welcome. If any more information is needed i will be happy to add.

thanks

karl

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Karl112
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am not sure why...but the local disk was there, it was only listed as remote.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Maybe the issue is caused by the still installed OS. What you may try is to use a e.g. gParted and clean the partition table so that ESXi will find an unused volume. Btw. I'd suggest you use the latest Service Pack for ProLiant for the firmare update.

André

0 Kudos
Karl112
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you,

I try to download the latest SPP available.

I think being a used partition should not be a problem but if the SPP does not help i will, reset the p410i's logical disks.

I will update news here, but it will take a while to upload the SPP to the server.

0 Kudos
Karl112
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I used SPP 2014.02, updated the HP SmartArray FW to 6.40 and other FWs too. (iLO, NIC).

I removed the logicall drive, added a clean logical drive, still nothing.

I think i try some older version of hypervisor, just for a test

0 Kudos
Karl112
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am not sure why...but the local disk was there, it was only listed as remote.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

There's nothing wrong with this, it's by design. Logical volumes on SmartArray (and other) RAID controllers are listed this way. The controller is detected as an HBA with a LUN, i.e. ESXi doesn't differentiate between a RAID controller and any other HBA (e.g. FC).

André

KashifAhsan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm getting the same message when installing 6.0 U1 on Dell poweredge FX2S. But I guess it is by design so I'm ok with this Smiley Happy

0 Kudos