VMware Cloud Community
MartinWest
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi 5.5 U1 can't mount NetApp NFS

Hi all

The Systems:

Host:          HP ProLiant DL380p Gen8 with ESXi 5.5 U1 (1623387)

Storage:     NetApp FAS2240 with OnTAP 8.2.1

If I want to add an NFS datastore, I get the following error message:

Call "HostDatastoreSystem.CreateNasDatastore" for
object "ha-datastoresystem" on ESXi "HOST IP" failed.

NFS mount IPADDRESS:/vol/vol_nfs_ds01/q_nfs_ds01 failed: The
NFS server does not support MOUNT version 3 over TCP.

An unknown error has occurred.

Does anyone have a solution?

Kind regards

Martin

0 Kudos
15 Replies
GMCON
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The newer NetApp Data ONTAP versions support NFSv3 and NFSv4 but there are different checkboxes when creating the NFS export.  If only NFSv4 is checked on the export then the hosts will not be able to mount it as VMware does not support version 4. So I would check that.

0 Kudos
MartinWest
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi and thank you

I have checked it:

nfs.v3.enable                on

If I disable the nfs.v4 I got the same error message.

Regards

Martin

0 Kudos
GMCON
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here I found this for you, hopefully these should help solve your problem.  Did not ask if you were runing in C Mode or 7 Mode.  Basically you have to make sure the Filer has version 3 enabled over TCP.

VMware KB: Attempting to mount an NFS share fails with the error: The server does not support NFS v3...

https://library.netapp.com/ecmdocs/ECMP1196817/html/vserver/nfs/modify.html

0 Kudos
MartinWest
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you again

I run the Filer in 7-Mode

I have checked all the settings:

nfs.tcp.enable               on

nfs.v3.enable                on

Regards
Martin

0 Kudos
GMCON
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Now I haven't heard of it causing a problem freshly mounting NFS volumes but right now there is a bug out with 5.5u1 that is causing disconnects on NFS volumes but I have only seen it in higher load environments.  Have you tried mounting this datastore on a host that is pre Update1?

0 Kudos
MartinWest
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi again

I connected the NetApp System with an other ESXi 5.1 Host.

Unfortunately, the same error message.

So, I think the failure is on the NetApp side.

Regards

Martin

0 Kudos
GMCON
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It seems like it.  I would most likely go into OnCommand and check under Protocols for NFS and if nothing else is using NFS on that filer, disable then reenable the NFS protocol to make sure.  It just seems like the server is almost unavailable

0 Kudos
MartinWest
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thank you again for your Input

I have now got a FAS2220 with ONTAP 8.1.4P1 and running with exactly the same settings without any problems.

I opened a case with NetApp but do not know either.

I hope tomorrow to hear from NetApp and look forward to a solution.

It is now time to go to bed.

Thank you very much and hope hearing from you again

Martin

0 Kudos
Borja_Mari
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello,

check this vmware's kb, maybe it's helpful:

VMware KB: Unable to mount NFS datastore

VMware KB: NFS connectivity issues on NetApp NFS filers on ESXi 5.x

VMware KB: NFS mount with NetApp fails with the error: failed to open volume: /VMFS/XXXX error

Best regards,

Pablo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT reply. Thanks!! Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA . ¡¡Muchas gracias!! VCP3, VCP4, VCP5-DCV (VCP550), vExpert 2010, 2014 BLOG: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/VirtuallyAnITNoob
0 Kudos
sjadapa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you check the security profile on ESXi.  Try disabling firewall once to check.

****If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer CORRECT or HELPFUL **** Shankar Jadapa (RHCE, MCSA, VCP 5 ) http://linuxgurus.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
Ashray
Contributor
Contributor

Did you find any solution ?

I am facing the similar issue

0 Kudos
JPM300
Commander
Commander

Try these two links and see if anything in there has helped.  I know the no-squash access has caught a few people but I don't know if this applies to the NetApps or not

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100735...

http://emcsan.wordpress.com/2011/09/01/vmware-cant-write-to-a-celerra-rw-nfs-mounted-datastore/

0 Kudos
MartinWest
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

check if nfs is on on the NetApp.

0 Kudos
ryanbarnes305
Contributor
Contributor

Hello All -

I figured out the issue. I ended up creating a datastore with it's own export policy. What I ended up doing is having to go to the default policy (NetApp default) and add a default 0.0.0.0/0 with Read only. See attachment below. This allows root access to read and then allowed my export policy I created to take place. In addition, make sure you are putting in the right path for the DataStore and the right data network IP address/NFS server (non-cluster) IP address for the NFS server field when adding the datastore to the host.

-Ryan

P.S. This statement doesn't come with a warranty. Typical legal mumbo-jumbo. Not responsible if this breaks anything, etc. Smiley Happy

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
esxi1979
Expert
Expert

I have almost same err - I am using same hardware & netapps ... I see its showing as unanswered .. so pushing it

The Systems:

Host:          HP ProLiant DL380p Gen8 with ESXi 5.5 U1 (1623387)

Storage:     NetApp FAS2240 with OnTAP 8.2.1

If I want to add an NFS datastore, I get the following error message:

Call "HostDatastoreSystem.CreateNasDatastore" for
object "ha-datastoresystem" on ESXi "HOST IP" failed.

NFS mount IPADDRESS:/vol/vol_nfs_ds01/q_nfs_ds01 failed: The
NFS server does not support MOUNT version 3 over TCP.

An unknown error has occurred.

0 Kudos