VMware Cloud Community
webassetsllc
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.5 System Resource Allocation or System Resource Reservation

We use vRanger Pro 6 to backup our VM Guests. I have been looking into changes we could make to optimize backup performance and reduce the backup window. I found that Best Practice was to set Service Console Memory to 800MB and CPU to 1500MHz but that applies only to ESX. Does anyone know if VMware has a Best Practice recommendation for the Host System Resource Reservation? I have done a fair amount of searching as well as reading through the Best Practice and Admin guides and cannot find anything. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Matt

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Community - Those settings were to support the Service Console which in essence was a VM used to manage the ESX host - with ESXi there is no longer a Service Console and no longer the need to reserve resources for the Service Console -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
webassetsllc
Contributor
Contributor

Hi and thank you,

That makes sense so is it best practice to leave this at its defaults as it appears to been changed to some custom configuration by a former engineer. I am wondering in anyone's experience if there is a scenerio for an ESXi environment where modifying the values is required or recommended.

0 Kudos