VMware Cloud Community
jrp83
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.5 PXE-E53: No boot filename received

I have booted the ESXi 5.5 install off my CD-ROM and installed the software. I had to enable Legacy boot options, first.

After the software is successfully installed, I am prompted to remove the CD and press F-11(?) to reboot.

When the computer reboots, I keep getting a PXE-E53: No boot filename received error.

I've tried configuring different Boot Orders, but nothing helps.

Any ideas? Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

This sounds as if you are using an unsupported disk controller, and the installation either isn't able to write the boot sector or set the boot partition as the active partition. Please try to boot the system using e.g. a gParted Live CD to see how the partitions on the disk look like.

Other than this please verify the checksum of the downloaded installation image to ensure it's healthy.

André

0 Kudos
grace27
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to communities.

On BIOS did you disabled other booting device or NIC boot?

0 Kudos
Hamzi
Contributor
Contributor

In next few hours I have to give a Windows Server 2008 up and running and I still haven't got a clue on how to make the VM (on ESXi 5.5 or 5.1) read the ISO image instead of Network Boot. I have tried local DVD, Local ISO image and even Client based ISO image. Smiley Sad

Now I am afraid I will have to give in for Hypervisor.  Any quick help is very badly needed.  Cheers

0 Kudos
nayabsk
Contributor
Contributor

Did you tried Copying the ISO image to DATASTORE and then choose the option to connect to ISO on DATASTORE ?

0 Kudos