VMware Cloud Community
zenonk
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.5 Not Utilizing Processor Power States

Calling for some help. I've setup and old chassis to be an ESXi5.5 box for some misc home needs. At the moment 2VM's are running - a pfsense gateway and a Linux NVR for my security Cameras. At present the system is running with a load around 0.1. I'm trying to maximize my power savings but can't seem to figure out why I'm not getting the option of the C1,2,3,4 processor power states, and why its its spending most its time in P0 even with no VM's running. System specific details and run stats are below. Any thoughts are appreciated.

SERVER DETAILS
Motherboard : SuperMicro X7DVA-E
Processor : Intel Xeon E5430 - 2.66GHz, 4core, no H/T
Processor Supported Technologies:
VT-x
Idle States
SpeedStep
Demand Based Switching

BIOS CONFIG
Thermal Managment 2 - Enabled
C1 Enhanced Mode - Enabled
Intel Virtualization Technology - Enabled
Intel EIST Support - Enabled
C State Supported - _C1234

ESX CONFIG
Low Power Configuration

EVALUATION OF POWER STATES
With no VM's running, running the 'esxtop' command and then 'p' switch.
cpu load 0.00 0.00 0.01
PSTATE MHZ: 2667 2333 2000
CPU %USED %UTIL %P0 %P1 %P2
0 1.4 1.5 73 0 27
1 0.3 0.4 100 0 0
2 0.2 0.1 73 0 27
3 0.1 0.0 100 0 0

(this is only a snap in time but in practice all 4 cores spend 75%+ time in P0)

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
zenonk
Contributor
Contributor

Its been a long time, and I never did figure out how to get esxi to clock down the processors on this hardware.  I tried different bios and esxi configuration options and nothing helped.  I've since moved the duties of this box over to a SuperMicro PDSMi board with a Q6600 processor running esxi 6.0 and it is managing power much more efficiently.

I ran across this thread again and thought it might be nice if I posted back a link to a very interesting white paper for anyone else who stumbles across this thread with similar questions.  It discusses how to check what state the processor is running and some details on how to interpret the output.  The %UTIL and %USED differentiation was very helpful.

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/hpm-perf-vsphere55.pdf

Enjoy!

0 Kudos