VMware Cloud Community
NombreApellido
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.5 Errors w/ Passing Through Intel NIC to PfSense VM for All-In-One server

My build is as follows:

Supermicro X8DTi-F
Corsair CX500 500W PSU
(2) Intel Xeon W5590 @3.3GHZ
24GB G.SKILL DDR3 1333 (6 x 4GB)
(1) 2TB WD HDD connected to onboard controller (Datastore to hold VMs)
(5) 3TB Seagate ST3000DM001s connected to LSI 9220-8i cross flashed to a LSI9211-8i in IT mode
(1)Intel EXPI9402PT Dual Port Gigabit PCI-E

Working my way to an All-In-One setup. Currently I have a Windows Server Standard 2012 R2 VM that has access to the (5) Seagate drives through Physical RDM (and they said I'd have to passthrough the whole controller :P). Trying to get a PfSesnse Vm running. Plan was to passthrough the Intel NIC and use one port for WAN and one for LAN. However, when I try to start the PfSense VM it doesn't boot.

Event tab shows error:
VMware ESX unrecoverable error: (vcpu-0) PCIPassthruChangeIntrSettings: 02:00.0 failed to register interrupt (error code 195887110)

After ESXi host reboot if PfSesne is first VM turned on(no other running) it boots and PfSense can see Intel NIC and I can ping it and access webconfig from another computer.

If I turn on the Win Server 2012 VM things work ok for a bit but then PfSense becomes unreachable and wont respond to pings. Trying to reboot PfSense VM then results in previously mentioned error.

After some googling I found this article

Being a VMware noob I didn't fully understand it, but when configuring passthrough vSphere forces you to make both ports available for passthrough since they are on the same card. I then removed the passthrough of the 2:00.0 port from the PfSesne VM (other NIC port was 2:00.1) it booted , but PfSesne didn't see any interfaces.

I've pretty much tried everything I can think of ,so any help or guidance anyone can lend is greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
NombreApellido
Contributor
Contributor

bump

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Maybe not the answer to you question, but why would you want to pass through the network adapter, rather than simply creating a vSwitch with this network adapter as the uplink and pfSense connected to a virtual machine port group on the vSwitch?

André

0 Kudos
NombreApellido
Contributor
Contributor

better performance and smaller attack surface security wise. Although your not the first to ask the same thing. Everyone seems to keep saying pass through just doesn't work that well. Well ok I get that, but everything from my mobo to processors to NIC are compatiable. So if it isn't working or ever going to work I'd at least like to know why

0 Kudos