VMware Cloud Community
WickedEvolved
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.5 CPU response behavior

Hey Guys,

i heard a myth that the ESX can make a quadcore 3GHz work like a singlecore 12GHz. maybe its cause its shown like 12GHz power, but i dont think it works that way.

Can anyone confirm or bust the myth? in my opinion its still working like a normal quadcore but the resource usage is a bit better shared between the cores.

thx for your help

best regards

Dennis from Germany

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alim786
Expert
Expert

Hi Dennis

I think it is how you relate it to configuring a VM. The article below may help you :-

http://www.virtualizationsoftware.com/virtual-cores-virtual-sockets-vcpu-explained/

VCP6-DCV, VCP5, CCNA, MCTS 2008R2, MCSA 2008R2, CCA, ITIL. Please mark answer helpful or correct as appropriate.
0 Kudos
WickedEvolved
Contributor
Contributor

thanks for your quick answer. its very helpful to know this, but in the end i try it with a new server tomorrow and see how much performance i can get out of it by trying all the diffrent options. it will be a dell r300 with a quadcore and ill will post all my results here for you.

🙂

have a nice day

Dennis

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

No, it doesn't make a 3GHz quad core CPU into a single core 12GHz core.

I think I have an idea where that myth originates from.

If you look at a host in the vSphere web client it lists the available resources on your CPU in GHz, but this is just a convenient way of representation.

If you want to call it anything then it is marketing.

pastedImage_2.png

Just like the host in the above screenshot does not have 1x 7.89TB datastore, the CPU is just a sum of all cores and not a 9.33 GHz CPU.

What you could do is to install VMs and have them see a single core.

As this works using CPU scheduling, you are not limited to 4 single core VMs either.

PS: A single core 12GHz processor doesn't even exist.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos