VMware Cloud Community
GFITAdmin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 5.5 - 6.5 Upgrade using 6.5 Update Manager stuck at %

Hi all,

I forwarded the steps in the video VMware vSphere 6.5 Embedded Update Manager (VUM) Demo - YouTube to upgrade my ESXi 5.5 host (HP ProLiant Gen 😎 to 6.5.  The only thing differed from the video is that I want to upgrade each host individually, and I do not have the license for DRS.

The remediate process got stuck at 24% the 1st try, and I left it running for over 30 minutes, no change.  I then cancel the process, reboot the physical host and try running it again, and again, it is stuck at 24%.  Is there a way to monitor to see anything is changing or if it is stuck?  Also, where can I check to see what is causing the upgrade to be stuck?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GFITAdmin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After several tries, finally able to upgrade both ESXi hosts to 6.5.  Figure I post this on there in case others run into similar issues.  I made 2 changes, not sure which one was the fix.

1.  Updated the licenses to vCenter & vSphere 6

2.  Manually migrated or power off all VM machines on the host, and put it in maintenance mode.

Be sure to have the ESXi host console up so you can see it is running the upgrade and rebooting.  For my upgrade, it will still "stuck" at a % even though the host is performing the upgrade and rebooting.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
GFITAdmin
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After several tries, finally able to upgrade both ESXi hosts to 6.5.  Figure I post this on there in case others run into similar issues.  I made 2 changes, not sure which one was the fix.

1.  Updated the licenses to vCenter & vSphere 6

2.  Manually migrated or power off all VM machines on the host, and put it in maintenance mode.

Be sure to have the ESXi host console up so you can see it is running the upgrade and rebooting.  For my upgrade, it will still "stuck" at a % even though the host is performing the upgrade and rebooting.

0 Kudos