VMware Cloud Community
ArcaAle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 5.5.0 how to recover old VM

Hello all,

I got an issue with ESXi 5.5.0, I get this old server from a school who switch from old support to us, old support don't gave root password and any other password to the school before leave it.

I have search on the net and I have find a way to try to start ESXi w/out root password (delete password into shadow file) but it didn't work, so I have try to "upgrade" ESXi using the same iso of 5.5.0 but after updating it ask for root password, so I have try a fresh install of ESXi on another server and try to change file shadow, after that the old ESXi stop working, so I have reinstall it overwriting the old installation, ESXi start, it see the old datastore but I have no VM configured, in datastore i have all the old VM.

How can I restore all the old VM on the fresh installation of ESXi 5.5.0?

Thanks,

Alessandro

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi ArcaAle and welcome to the community!

Apology‘s if I have misunderstood but from what I read you can browse the data store and see the VM but you cannot see it in the hosts inventory? If this is the case then just right click the vmx file and select “Add to Inventory”

Kind regards.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi ArcaAle and welcome to the community!

Apology‘s if I have misunderstood but from what I read you can browse the data store and see the VM but you cannot see it in the hosts inventory? If this is the case then just right click the vmx file and select “Add to Inventory”

Kind regards.

0 Kudos
ArcaAle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thankyou very much!!!!

It solve EXACTLY what I need!!!

0 Kudos
ThompsG
Virtuoso
Virtuoso