VMware Cloud Community
iceman93
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.1 vCenter

I have a temp cluster with a vCenter Server running ESXi 5.0.  Built a new cluster and a new vCenter 5.1 VM on my temp vCenter 5.0 environment.  Both vCenter are on the same LUNs and VLAN. My problem is I cannot move my new vCenter 5.1 out of the temp cluster to my new 5.1 cluster.  I've tried powering off my 5.1 vCenter VM and register on a ESXi 5.0 host already on my new cluster however my VM does not see the VLANs or VLAN I want the VM to be on.

I know I can edit the .vmx file to allow the ESXi host to see the VLANs so I can get the vCenter VM on the network it needs to be.  However, I have little experience editing the .vmx file.  Need some assistance and/or a new method to move my vCenter Server into my new cluster.

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

I've tried powering off my 5.1 vCenter VM and register on a ESXi 5.0  host already on my new cluster however my VM does not see the VLANs or  VLAN I want the VM to be on.

Are the Network Labels not listed in the virtual machine properties editor? There should be no need to manually edit the .VMX in this case.

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
iceman93
Contributor
Contributor

No, that's my problem, in the VM network properties, I don't see the VLANs I want the VM to be on and only see some virtual vlan (can't recall exactly what it is)

0 Kudos
vmroyale
Immortal
Immortal

Have you created the required virtual switches on the ESXi host(s)?

Brian Atkinson | vExpert | VMTN Moderator | Author of "VCP5-DCV VMware Certified Professional-Data Center Virtualization on vSphere 5.5 Study Guide: VCP-550" | @vmroyale | http://vmroyale.com
0 Kudos
iceman93
Contributor
Contributor

Yes.  I'm using vDS and they are created up and running with over 30 VMs and 2 ESXi 5.0 hosts running on the vDS.

0 Kudos
iceman93
Contributor
Contributor

Any other ideas?  Still need assistant / suggestion to resolve this issue.

thanks!

0 Kudos
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert

What happens when you add a network adapter to the VM, does it let you select your other VLANs for the new adapter?  That would isolate your issue to your VM configuration.

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... IT Guy since 12/2000... Virtual since 10/2006... VCAP-DCA #2222
0 Kudos