VMware Cloud Community
Alceryes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi 5.1 - upgraded host memory now client says I have more storage space...?

ESX 5.1 free. Accessing through vSphere Client. I know it's an old ESX. Owners don't want to spend the money to upgrade.

I installed some more RAM in a host where I only had 5GBs of storage left to assign to VMs. Upon boot up The client said I now have 55GBs (approx) available for guests. I tried to assign more than 5 to test and got an error. Why did this happen and how do I correct it to show the actual amount of storage left?

TIA!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
robc_yk
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

If when the host had its memory upgraded, if the VM's were brought offline (Powered down), it is possible they were using some disk space as swap due to the low RAM available. Now having more RAM, this could clear some disk space if the VM's are no longer swapping. 

Did you notice any swapping of the VM's Memory / disk before the change?

---

If you found this information helpful, or think it could be useful to another person, please mark it so with a 'Kudos'.

0 Kudos
Alceryes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

All VMs were powered down. I didn't check to see if the host was swapping, unfortunately.

If what you say is what happened, then I should've been able to give one of the guests an extra 10GBs of space, right? I got an error when I tried to do this which leads me to believe that the 55GBs listed is incorrect.

0 Kudos
Alceryes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Anyone have any suggestions on how to diagnose and correct this issue?

0 Kudos