VMware Cloud Community
byteworker
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.1 host accepts no network connetctions

Hi guys,

I installed a new 5.1 ESXi Server from Scratch and there is no network activity!

Through boot process I can see the Intel E1000 driver is loaded.

The physical Link is up and shown correctly on Console too.

But there is no way to ping another host!

The Server was running with 5.0 before without any issues...

It happens with another Testserver too. Both with Intel Nics that were supported in 5.0.

Is there a new trick to get it work? ;o)

I gave it a static address...

Thx for any suggestions.

CAT

44 Replies
tomtom901
Commander
Commander

In reference to this topic (Re: I upgraded from ESXi 5.0 to ESxi 5.5 now when I ping the esx host it fails.) I've created a custom ISO which include the drivers for the 82573L NIC.

You can download it via http://tomverhaeg.nl/files/ESXi-5.5.0-1331820-82573L.iso.

Hope this helps,

kfstwo
Contributor
Contributor

When I tried upgrading one of my X7DCA-L SuperMicro's, had this same problem happen.

HOWEVER: When you boot the machine, there is an option for "Recover Mode" (Ctrl-O or Alt-O). This restores the previous Hypervisor.

So I was able to roll back to working networking and use vSphere to upload to datastore, making it nice and simple.

Not sure if I want to try 5.5.

0 Kudos
GarFin1965
Contributor
Contributor

@ tomtom901 : Thanks.. has there any issue with applying 5.5 update 1  etc afterwards?

0 Kudos
tomtom901
Commander
Commander

I didn't test this, but will test this and let you know.

0 Kudos
rock425
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have a single host that was running 5.5 u1 (after installing the 5.0 NIC drivers per gadaily's instructions above).   Today I installed the heartbleed patch and it installed the incorrect drivers again....    re-installed the 5.0 drivers and everything is back online.     Looks like we will probably have to roll back the NIC driver with any updates vmware puts out until they get this fixed.

0 Kudos