VMware Cloud Community
dmsousa
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.1 free on a 2 processors, 32 GB RAM HP Server?

Hi,

I have ESXi 5 free edition installed on a HP DL380 G7 with 2 processors (total of 12 cores) and 32 GB of RAM.

If I upgrad it to ESXi 5.1 free edition will I be able use all the hardware I'll have to buy and use a paid version?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Like ESXi 5.0, ESXi 5.1 does not have a limitation on physical CPUs and/or cores, but only on the physical memory (32GB). Even the limitation for the vRAM entitlement has been removed with ESXi 5.1, which means you can overcommit memory if you want/need to.

André

0 Kudos
dmsousa
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thank you very much. I knew about the 32 GB RAM limit and I knew about the end of the vRAM limit but I didn’t know about the CPU sockets/core situation…

Again thanks…

With the best regards,

<https://www.mcpvirtualbusinesscard.com/VBCServer/UAlg_ESEC_ISE/profile>

0 Kudos
ThreeXH
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Did you do this upgrade as I have just installed 5.1 'free' on my system and the licence is saying its for 1 physical CPU. vSphere client reports the licencing as follows, has somehting changed with the licencing? I haven't actually dropped the second CPU in yet, will this just say 2 CPUs once the second CPU goes into the server?

VMware vSphere 5 Hypervisor Licensed for 1 physical CPUs (unlimited cores per CPU)

Product Features:
    Up to 32 GB of memory
    Up to 8-way virtual SMP
0 Kudos
SCMHenry
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The license information displayed is describing only a single CPU because you only have one physical CPU installed at this time.

0 Kudos
ThreeXH
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Henry, spot on. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos