VMware Cloud Community
fansari
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 5.1: cannot bring up ethernet for guest system

Hello,

I have tried a very simple configuration: just one VM with CentOS 6.4 (64bit). My problem is that the ethernet will not get a link.

There is only one NIC on my system.

vmware.log shows this when I try to bring the link up:

vim-cmd vmsvc/device.connection 19 4000 true

2013-06-29T16:24:14.619Z| vmx| I120: TOOLS received request in VMX to set option 'synctime' -> '0'

2013-06-29T16:24:14.622Z| vmx| I120: VMXVmdb_SetCfgState: cfgReqPath=/vm/#_VMX/vmx/cfgState/req/#11/, remDevPath=/vm/#_VMX/vmx/vigor/setCfgStateReq/#11a/in/

2013-06-29T16:24:14.622Z| vcpu-0| I120: Msg_Post: Error

2013-06-29T16:24:14.622Z| vcpu-0| I120: [msg.ethernet.openFailed] Failed to initialize ethernet0.

On the guest system I have installed vmware tools. lsmod shows that the vmxnet driver is loaded.

lsmod -l | grep vm

vmci                    85329 1 vsock

vmware_balloon     7199 0

vmxnet                18930 0

On the ESXi machine I see this:

# esxcfg-nics -l

Name    PCI           Driver      Link Speed     Duplex MAC Address       MTU    Description                  

vmnic0  0000:00:0a.00 forcedeth   Up   1000Mbps  Full   00:19:66:d4:1c:b0 1500   nVidia Corporation nVidia NForce Network Controller

# esxcfg-vmknic -l

Interface  Port Group/DVPort   IP Family IP Address                              Netmask         Broadcast       MAC Address       MTU     TSO MSS   Enabled Type               

vmk0       Management Network  IPv4      192.168.20.5                            255.255.255.224 192.168.20.31   00:19:66:d4:1c:b0 1500    65535     true    STATIC             

vmk0       Management Network  IPv6      fe80::219:66ff:fed4:1cb0                64                              00:19:66:d4:1c:b0 1500    65535     true    STATIC, PREFERRED  

# esxcfg-vswitch -l

Switch Name      Num Ports   Used Ports  Configured Ports  MTU     Uplinks  

vSwitch0         128         4           128               1500    vmnic0   

PortGroup Name        VLAN ID  Used Ports  Uplinks  

VM Network            0        0           vmnic0   

Management Network    0        1           vmnic0   

I could not find any useful hints so far to find out what is wrong with my setup.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

Frank

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

>ethernet0.networkName="ACS"

Try "VM Network"

Point to note: case sensitive Smiley Happy

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DavoudTeimouri
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Try to use "Flexible" NIC type.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Davoud Teimouri - https://www.teimouri.net - Twitter: @davoud_teimouri Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/teimouri.net/
0 Kudos
fansari
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have tried vmxnet, vmxnet3, e1000, vlance and flexible. No success.

When I try vmxnet3 or flexible I cannot even start the vm.

I tried to follow this possibilities:

http://sanbarrow.com/vmx/vmx-network.html

Currently I am stuck with this.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Create a new VM and point it to the existing HDD of centos VM

0 Kudos
fansari
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I tried this. I copied my vmx file and pointed scsi0:0.fileName to the original VM. The result is the same - except that the CentOS guest system now finds eth1 instead of eth0.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Check the below articles kb.vmware.com/kb/1009103 kb.vmware.com/kb/1028151 http://vwiki.co.uk/Troubleshooting_(Virtual_Machine)

0 Kudos
fansari
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

In the first article it seems to me that the issue is with vMottion (I remember another article which referred to vShield) or the usage of too many ports. The other link you gave me contains just an empty sheet (even after registering and login I saw no more).

But this is just the first port I want to use.

I tried now to reinstall the VMWare guest tools in an older version.

http://packages.vmware.com/tools/esx/5.1p01/rhel6/index.html

Because the manual says sometihing "don't take the latest - they won't work. So I tried 5.1p01 now but unfortuately the result is the same.

I wonder whether it has anything to do with this vswitch stuff. Currentyly it looks line this:

Switch Name      Num Ports   Used Ports  Configured Ports  MTU     Uplinks  

vSwitch0         128         4           128               1500    vmnic0   

PortGroup Name        VLAN ID  Used Ports  Uplinks  

VM Network            0        0           vmnic0   

Management Network    0        1           vmnic0   

Is there anything one has to assign or configure about all this or should it work "out of the box"?

It is also not clear to me what "Used = 4" means. Does it mean that I have 4 ports in usage? If yes: what ports? From what I understand there is an uplink and the port I use for my VM.

In my vmx file I just put this:

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"

ethernet0.startConnected = "TRUE"

ethernet0.pciSlotNumber = "-1"

ethernet0.virtualDev="vmxnet"

ethernet0.networkName="ACS"

ethernet0.addressType="generated"

ethernet0.connectionType = "bridged"

But as I said I triied with other combinations.

Unfortunatly the output of the logfile is of now much use for me since I don't have experience on this.

0 Kudos
a_nut_in
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

>ethernet0.networkName="ACS"

Try "VM Network"

Point to note: case sensitive Smiley Happy

Do remember to mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answer your query!
0 Kudos
fansari
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Bingo! You solved it. After I put ethernet0.networkName="VM Network" the link came up. Thank you.

0 Kudos