VMware Cloud Community
tonybourke
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.1 and Web Client

I saw the great video from Chris Wahl: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6E_-4dSlLY&feature=relmfu

Looks though like it's only on vCenter Server? Not on the standalone free version of ESXi 5.1?

VCP4, Cisco Instructor (CCSI) datacenteroverlords.com
0 Kudos
7 Replies
karthickvm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hello Tony,

WebClient is like a addon for vCenter. It requires SSO (Single Sign On) and vCenter.

Unfortunately we cannot use webclient to connect ESXi Directly. we can connect only to vCenter.

Karthic.
vRNI TPM
chriswahl
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Sad but true. Requires a full install of the web client server for now, hopefully embeded into the hypervisor (even in a limited form) in the future so that you don't have to install the thick client prior to installing vCenter (as a VM or the virtual appliance). Chicken and egg kinda thing.

VCDX #104 (DCV, NV) ஃ WahlNetwork.com ஃ @ChrisWahl ஃ Author, Networking for VMware Administrators
azlatovic
Contributor
Contributor

Any info about next version (6)? How to manage standalone ESXi? 5.1 is final release for VI client.

0 Kudos
phlampe
Contributor
Contributor

Any update on this question ?

I have an ESXi 5.1 server, in a Mac environment, and my only way to manage the VMs is to start a Windows XP VM on my Mac with VMWare Fusion and then using vSphere Client.

That's ok once in a while, but is a hassle for everyday use. And the more I have to do that, the more it makes me feel like switching to another hypervisor that would be managed by a web client.

Thanks for your input,

Paul-Henri

0 Kudos
dawesi
Contributor
Contributor

if you use parallels or vmware fusion you can use unity mode to open vsphere client like a native mac app.

0 Kudos
gokevgo
Contributor
Contributor

I have a standalone version of VMware Server from 2008.  It installed on top of RHEL5 / CentOS5 and included a free standalone web-based GUI.

VMware-server-2.0.0-122956.i386.tar.gz

VMware-server-2.0.2-203138.i386.rpm

VMware included this over 5 years ago and it worked awesomely.  I love the VMware product line but I wish we could please get away from the Windows-centric world.  There are a bunch of big grownup OS-es that real enterprise engineers use now to manage, and requiring Windows is beyond inconvenience.

Since ESXi 4, as a workaround, I have used a tiny 32-bit Windows XP VM for now.  This has been apparently forced to obsoletion with ESXi5.  The package VMware-viclient-all-5.1.0-1064113.exe refuses to install on a 32-bit XP.  The missing packages include 64-bit packages from Microsoft that (obviously) won't install on XP SP3 32 bit.  I am now at a crossroad to reinstall a 64-bit Windows OS -- just for installing the newest VMware VSphere client.

Can someone please give me some false hope that us silly ol Linux users can get the 5-year-old web GUI back?

0 Kudos
psychowood
Contributor
Contributor

I am now at a crossroad to reinstall a 64-bit Windows OS -- just for installing the newest VMware VSphere client.

That's not completely true: the problem is XP, not the 32bit architecture. I was in the same situation, and my host is Atom based (no VT-d, no 64bit VMs): right now I'm running vSphere Client 5.1 (786111) on a Win7 (32bit) VM to connect to ESXi 5.1.0 (1117900).

Not a web client, but better than nothin' 🙂

0 Kudos