semperf1delis
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.1 / Server 2008 R2 (SBS2001) / VMware Tools Freeze

Hello everybody,

The following system is in use:
- ESXi 5.1 Update 3
- 1x Terminal Server 2003 runs without problems
- 1x Server 2008 R2 (SBS2011), the VMware Tools plunge here very frequently and sporadically from the server and freezed.

The server starts up, the tools run briefly then freezed the console and the tools are displayed as "not running". From this moment, the server is no longer accessible neither by IP, RDP, nor console.
Currently, I can me no longer log into the system because the server crashes before the Windows login.

Before that, I was able to install the tools once again and rename the installation folder, according to KB VMware before.
I've also changed from VMXNET3 Adapter to E1000, no improvement.
Windows Server is UptoDate.

What can I do!?

Addendum:
I have VMware Tools folder now again renamed with a boot CD. After that the server was able to start again ....
Currently I have now the VMware drivers installed in the system but no synchronization between VM and host because the service is no longer running.

What can cause the problem with the VMTools service? On the server only runs AD, DNS, DHCP, Exchange. Furthermore, an NTP client, a software for iPads so printers can be addressed ("ThinPrint") and an antivirus solution.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JoaoCastro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My suggestion for you is try start windows in a safe mode without network, this option will start windows with a few drivers and you can verify the relationship with Vmware tools. Is very important see event viewer logs to investigate if there is a problem with Vmware tools or another software that has impacted your server.

Best Regards,

Joao castro

0 Kudos
Dee006
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

As Joao said,try to boot the VM from safe mode.Look on event logger for any specific error during the time of freeze.I don't think VMware tools won't cause any issues.

Do you have any Firewall protection software running on the VM?

0 Kudos
semperf1delis
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

The problem is that the SBS2011 is the domain controller by itself. A logon in safe mode is not possible because there is no local user.

The Servers runs fine for about 2 years with this Constellation. There were no programs added or removed

No Firewall Protection except the windows firewall. Also no error event in the event log. Nothing. Not even a blue screen... Freezed und and that's it

Greetz

0 Kudos
Paltelkalpesh
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

To correct the problem, either enter the text below in the file if it already exists, or create the file and enter the text:

[logging]
log = true

# Enable tools service logging to vmware.log
vmsvc.level = debug
vmsvc.handler = vmx

# Enable new "vmusr" service logging to vmware.log
vmusr.level = error
vmusr.handler = vmx

# Enable "Volume Shadow Copy" service logging to vmware.log
vmvss.level = debug
vmvss.handler = vmx

The file will either be located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\VMware\VMware Tools

or C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware Tools depending on which OS you are running

You will also need to stop and re-start the VMware Tools service after creating / populating the file. After that, the error should dissappear.

(Edited to correct missing bracket)

VmWare tools error will not impact to any application or guest OS.

0 Kudos