VMware Cloud Community
frag078b
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.1 Maximum number of concurrent vi clients

Hi folks,

I am teaching a class of 20 apprentices (trainees, students, user) using a single ESXi 5.1 host. Each student has 2 VMs. For teaching purposes I want, that each student is using the vi client. This is, because the VMs have no connection to the outside network, but can only communicate over internal VM switches.

I have noticed, that there is only a maximum of about 10 concurrent vi client connections possible. Additional students cannot establish a connection to the ESXi host. Or students can connect, but they cannot open a console window.

This issue was discussed some years before with an ESXi 4 version and the answer was, to use RDP tools like Remotedesktop to access the VMs.

For my teaching purposes (e.g. various ESX internal switches / network configuration, teaching Microsoft TMG etc.) I would find it very helpful, if some configuration adjustments or similar could help me there. Other hints will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance for your cooperation.

Klaus

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vJJSosa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Klaus,

You can use the web client:

"The vSphere Web Client also expands the scalability of vSphere management and supports up to 300

concurrent vSphere Web Client users, a 200 percent increase over the previous standard vSphere Client. "

Source: http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/Whats-New-VMware-vSphere-51-Performance-Technical-Whitepap...

Regards

[VCAP5-DCA, VCP3/4/5, VCP-DT4, MCITP Network Infrastructure, HP ASE Bladesystem]
0 Kudos
frag078b
Contributor
Contributor

Hello vJJSosa,

thank you for your hint on my question.

For the use of the vSphere Web Client you need to have a vCenter Server - as far I could investigate. But I have only a single ESXi 5.1 Server running.

Therefore I cannot use the Web Client. Further help would be appreciated.

Kind regards from

Klaus

0 Kudos