VMware Cloud Community
dborgill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESXi 5.1 Free Version RAM limitation?

I was under the impression that all RAM limitation had been removed for 5.1, including the free version of ESX. Trying to use free version but it's giving an error that we are over the 32GB limit.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The free version is still limited to 32GB physical RAM. It was only the vRAM entitlement which has been removed.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The free version is still limited to 32GB physical RAM. It was only the vRAM entitlement which has been removed.

André

0 Kudos
dborgill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hmm.. this FAQ is very confusing then as we have several customers thinking VRAM and host RAM is the same thing:

http://www.vmware.com/products/vsphere-hypervisor/faq.html

0 Kudos
JoaoCastro
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello!

dborgill,

This limitation is present in Esxi 5.1 free, case your server have more of 32GB Memory Ram the server not start in free version.

att.

João Castro

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Reading this FAQ, I agree with you. IMO there should be a note regarding the physical limitation rather than the non-existing vRAM entitlement. Anyway the limit unfortunately exists and is documented in http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vsphere_pricing.pdf

André

0 Kudos
dborgill
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you all -- Even though a simple oversight, this has been very helpful!

I appreciate VMware offering a free option but most hosts out there have way more than 32 gig these days. The limitation is unfortunate!

0 Kudos
MikeSpears
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Until recently I've put 16gb in my personal systems, I'm thinking about having my current box upgraded to 24gb, so yea, I won't disagree.

0 Kudos