VMware Cloud Community
LiamA2013
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.1 - CPU Core Issues

Hi guys, I have a weird issue and hope someone can offer some assistance.

I have a AMD FX 8350 CPU installed with 8 cores. I recently built a new test machine with a Gigabye GA-970A-D3 board. When i first built the machine the config was showing as having 8 cores from the summary screen when connected via VSphere client.

I came across some hanging issues so had to change my ACPI state in bios to correct this. After doing this my summary screen on VSphere client is showing only 4 cores. I am trying to collate the two but can't see any logic as to why changing the state would cause this issue.

Anyone else had this or a similar problem before?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

What did you change in the BIOS?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
LiamA2013
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Linjo, I change boot order and also ACPI State to S1

It was previously set to S3 which caused system hangs and unfortunatly you can't disable the function. Listed below is the available options on my Bios

ACPI Suspend Type
Specifies the ACPI sleep state when the system enters suspend.
S1(POS) Enables the system to enterthe ACPI S1 (Power on Suspend) sleep state.
In S1 sleep state, the system appears suspended and stays in a low power mode. The
system can be resumed at any time.
S3(STR) Enables the system to enter the ACPI S3 (Suspend to RAM) sleep state (default).
In S3 sleep state, the system appears to be off and consumes less power than in the S1
state. When signaled by a wake-up device or event, the system resumes to its working
state exactly where it was left off.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

Those settings should not affect the number of cores, what happends if you change back?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
LiamA2013
Contributor
Contributor

Hi and thanks for the reply. I found the issue to be my bios settings in that half the cores were disabled.

I only discovered this after I had to hard reset the machine again after it hung yet again. I have checked logs and don't see any issues.

Is there anything I can do to track down exactly what's causing the issues?

0 Kudos