VMware Cloud Community
Abasko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 5.1.0 adding new license

Hi,

I installed vmware ESXi 5.1.0 with free license last year. And purchasing now new vSphere 6 Essentials license.

Now I want to add new license to esx but it give me

License downgrade warning

Some features will become unavailable after license assignment

Host: my host name

to: unlicensed

The following features will become unavailable

* Up to 32GB of memory

* Up to 8-way SMP

Warning. is it normal ? Would I add safely new license without any trouble ? And now can I add 192 GB memory without limitations?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cykVM
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you need to keep with 5.x version and not upgrade to version 6 you have toi downgrade the v6 license key as it does not work with a v5.x installation.

See VMware KB: How to downgrade license keys in My VMware for further information on downgrading in MyVMWare.

That's why you get the "To: unlicensed" message, because the v6 key is invalid in v5.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
CrashTheGooner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Dear Abasko

Are you runnig ESXi 5.1 still ?
If you have procured vsphere 6 essential then you need to add it to a ESXi 6

Can you tell me what version is your vcenter server ?

Do you have any other vsphere solutions apart from vcenter and vsphere in your infra?

If you find this or any other answer useful please mark the answer as correct or helpful. RGS
cykVM
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

If you need to keep with 5.x version and not upgrade to version 6 you have toi downgrade the v6 license key as it does not work with a v5.x installation.

See VMware KB: How to downgrade license keys in My VMware for further information on downgrading in MyVMWare.

That's why you get the "To: unlicensed" message, because the v6 key is invalid in v5.

0 Kudos
Abasko
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

We don't use vsphere center I have only two ESX server. I've installed last year and I didn't need to upgrade ESX version.

I understand that I must update my ESXi 5.1 to ESXi 6 to use my license

Thanks for advices

0 Kudos