VMware Cloud Community
dschlic1
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.00 and Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

I am trying the provision/create a Windows 10 Pro 64-bit VM on our ESXi 5.0 server. I am having trouble getting the guest OS (Windows) to install correctly. Everything proceeds normally until Win 10 reboots for the first time. After rebooting it works for a period of time and then blue screens on me.

In the past I used vCenter stand alone converter to move a Workstation VM (Win 7 Pro) to the ESXi server. However I can't get that program to access my Win 10 Workstation VMs.

I also downloaded a Windows 10 VM from Microsoft, However when I try to do a OVF template, it has an error at the SHA line.

So is ESXi 5.0 compatabile with Windows 10?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@dschlic1 

ESXi 5.0 is a long time out of being supported or updated, I know that’s not answering your question but if you are able to upgrade to at least 6.5 you should consider doing so.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Kahonu84
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Win10 is not a supported guest OS for 5.x

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey @dschlic1,

As @Kahonu84 said it is not supported on that version and you can confirm that by looking into the Guest OS Section inside the VMware Compatibility Matrix: https://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?deviceCategory=software&details=1&operatin...

In the future you can use that for confirming if whatever Guest OS is supported in the version you actually have.

0 Kudos