VMware Cloud Community
kevincp
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.0 software iscsi iso??

Hi Guys,

Hoping someone can help as I have been banging my head against a brick wall with this one.

Long story short we have a Dell iscsi SAN and I would like to upgrade from ESXi 4.0 to ESXi 5.0.

I have heard of the patch to fix slow boot times but in the KB regarding the slow boot times there

is an important notice about the availabilty of two isos when you attempt to download ESXi 5.0

Important Notes:

• When you are upgrading to ESXi 5.0, there are two ISO files: one for systems without software iSCSI configured and one for systems with software iSCSI configured. If you have configured software iSCSI devices, or if you think you might use software iSCSI in the future, ensure that you choose the ISO image for systems with software iSCSI.
  • This express patch ISO contains all of the fixes in ESXi 5.0 Patch 01, plus the software iSCSI fix.
  • VMware is delivering an ISO file for this patch release due to the nature of this issue. This is not common practice and is only done in special circumstances

However when I try to download the iso I dont have the option fir the software iscsi iso.

Am I missing something?

Thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
kevincp
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Can you send me a screenshot of the download screen where you are trying to download the ESXi 5 ISO from?

I can confirm that I am able to see the ISO you are looking for when I go to download ESXi 5 Installable from the vmware.com website.

0 Kudos
kevincp
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Graham,

Thanks for your response.

I have tried with a few different accounts now to ensure its not just my account.

I should stress that I am downloading the free version but I would assume this is not a problem.

Attached the screenshot for you.

Thanks

Kevin

Screen Shot 2012-01-19 at 12.06.05.jpg

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Ah yes....that certainly makes a bit more sense :-).

I am not entirely sure why this additional ISO is not available on the vSphere Hypervisor download page. I will need to ask around here internally in order to get an answer for you. The KB article that you referenced should also be updated to include whatever information arises from my research into this so I will have one of our Technical Writers update the article as soon as possible.

I will update you here when I have additional information.

0 Kudos
kevincp
Contributor
Contributor

Many thanks Graham, thought i was going mad Smiley Happy

Is there any way for me to get the iso that i'm looking for?

Thanks

Kevin

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Let me look into it a bit further and I will be get back to you. I don't want to be presenting you with inaccurate information at this point. 

0 Kudos
kevincp
Contributor
Contributor

Understood. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

From talking with some of the relevant folks, here is some further information for you.

A user who doesn’t have a Support Entitlement/Contract for ESXi will not be able to download the pre-bundled ESXi ISO with the iSCSI patch already included.  However, the user would still be able download the free version of ESXi, and then later apply the patch through Update Manager or using the vSphere CLI.

There is a link to the patch in question listed in KB article 2007108. Under the resolution section click on the link "VMware ESXi 5.0, Patch Release ESXi500-201111001 (2008017)" and this will open up KB article 2008017. In that KB article you will then find instructions on how to download and apply the patch to the ESXi server. This is applicable to both users who are using the paid or free versions of ESXi.

We will be updating KB article 2007108 to reflect this information.

Hope that helps!

kevincp
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the prompt and helpful response. OK i will get on my ESXi 5 upgrades. Hopefully it'll help resolve some iscsi issues i see with 4.x. Smiley Happy

Thanks

Kevin

0 Kudos