VMware Cloud Community
Lysinger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 5.0 problem adding a datastore on LSI 8308ELP

I am in the process of moving from ESXi 4 to 5.0

I installed ESXi 5 on a USB stick

I have an LSI 8308ELP with 4 drives in RAID 5 and they check out as good.

ASUS P8Z77 whitebox

Whenever I try to add storage on this device, I get this error:

Call "HostDatastoreSystem.CreateVmfsDatastore" for object "ha-datastoresystem" on ESXi "192.168.1.10" failed.
Operation failed, diagnostics report:  Unable to create Filesystem, please see VMkernel log for more details: No such device or address

I have no clue where to begin.  This controller works like a champ on my ESXi 4.0 server and an ASUS P5 motherboard

All help is apprecaited,

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is the LSI 8308ELP a SATA or SCSI card? Because if it is the SATA version of the card it is not supported by ESXi 5 according to the HCL

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
tidaltides
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Is it possible to use a portable drive when you are going to install it in a USB?

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is the LSI 8308ELP a SATA or SCSI card? Because if it is the SATA version of the card it is not supported by ESXi 5 according to the HCL

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Lysinger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It's an SAS controller with SATA drives plugged into it.  I take it I need to use SAS drives or get a newer controller?

Sigh...

0 Kudos
Lysinger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

HCL survey says I am screwed.  I just ordered a 9240-8i.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

0 Kudos
Lysinger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

9240-81i is installed (can't get into WebBios on this Asus MB, known issue at ASUS and they are working on it.  I plugged it into my old board to configure).

I am back in business.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Thomy23
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

One question, does the 9240-81i report in the Health tab of the vSphere Client? And can this card be managed with MSM (Megaraid Storage Manager) trough CIM?

Cheers

Thomas

0 Kudos
Lysinger
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am running ESXi so I don’t have a health tab. For the other stuff I have no clue (network engineer by trade, sysadmin stuff is generally beyond me), I would look at the LSI support site. They have tons of great info there and their support is pretty good.

0 Kudos