VMware Cloud Community
tarasmandryk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 5.0 boot partition size

What is the recommended storage size for installing ESXi 5.0?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'd recommend you make this at least 6GB (I usually use 10GB). Depending on how the storage systems interprets GBs (1 GB = 1.000 * 1.000 kb or 1.024 * 1.024 kb) 5GB may not be sufficient.

André

EDIT: fixed the calculation for 1 GB

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

tarasmandryk wrote:

What is the recommended storage size for installing ESXi 5.0?

It's very small like 300 Meg.. or less.  The VM datastorage is limited to 64TB, but the recommendation varies on who you talk to.

The datastore should be big enough to accomodate your VM's so they are manageable, there aren't any real static figures.  you can minimize risk by going with smaller storage sizes, but then you will waste space because you have more datastores.. so it's a balance.

tarasmandryk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you!

I just want to know best practices for sizing boot partition.

0 Kudos
svisen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi tara,

exsi 5 is very samll in size on the boot device, u can use an usb drive to install and then run multiple server on it teh space require to install is less than the 300 mb .

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

With ESXi you don't configure partition sizes as you may have done with ESX.   If you're installing to a flash device, the install uses about 1 GB of space. With a hard disk install about 5 GB is used (1 GB for system files and 4 GB for a scratch partition).

tarasmandryk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for helpfull answer.

I'm going to ask storage administrator to allocate 5GB for boot partition.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I'd recommend you make this at least 6GB (I usually use 10GB). Depending on how the storage systems interprets GBs (1 GB = 1.000 * 1.000 kb or 1.024 * 1.024 kb) 5GB may not be sufficient.

André

EDIT: fixed the calculation for 1 GB

0 Kudos
tarasmandryk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

For ESXi 4.x I always allocate 6GB according to BP.

So I'll stick to this recommendation.

0 Kudos