VMware Cloud Community
kiwijj
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.0 VMDK Modified date question

Hi,

In the datastore browser on ESXi 5.0 the VMDK files show a modified date of months ago, though when I login to the server and look I can see the *-flat.vmdk has todays date.

So when I look for orphaned files all of the VMDK's show up as orphaned. Any idea why the VMDK date modified is so old ?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

I think what you are seeing is the difference between the -flat.vmdk and the .vmdk file - The ,vmdk is a much smaller file and contains the information about the virtual disk while the -flat.vmdk is where the disks data is stored and gets changed as the data is written to the virtual disk.

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
kiwijj
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I know what the two files are and what they do, what I am asking is why the descriptor file (the *.VMDK) has an older date. On our ESXi 5.1 servers all of the *.VMDK and *-flat.VMDK are the same date and therefore do not show up as orphaned which is expected. I wonder if it is anything to do with the fact the VMFS version on the 5.0 servers is 3. I will upgrade them to 5 to see if that makes a difference

0 Kudos