VMware Cloud Community
COS
Expert
Expert

ESXi 5.0 - Extracting the VMXNET3 drivers from the VMware Tools .iso

Where can I get the NIC driver for ESXi 5.0?

I can't find them in the same place they used to be. It looks like they bundled up all the drivers in both the x86 and x64 setup.exe / setupx64.exe files.

How can I extract them? The VMXNET3 Drivers that is...

10 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Unless I'm mistaken the drivers are extracted into the "Drivers\..." folder on the guest once you install VMware Tools. So if you already have a guest with VMware Tools installed, copying them from this VM would be the easiest way.

André

0 Kudos
Virtualinfra
Commander
Commander

Once you install VMware tools on the server you can find the drivers under this path.

"C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\Drivers\vmxnet3"

For installing Vmware tools, Right click on the virtual machine and go to guest and install vmware tools option.

Thanks & Regards Dharshan S VCP 4.0,VTSP 5.0, VCP 5.0
0 Kudos
COS
Expert
Expert

OK, i'm seeing these files....

vmxnet3n61x64.sys

vmxnet3n61x86.sys

vmxnet3ndis6.cat

vmxnet3ndis6.inf

So when installing drivers just point to the .inf right?

I'm just trying to get VM NIC drivers onto an image before they cut the image.

Thanks

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

When you install or update drivers in Windows, you only select a folder and Windows will list the appropriate drivers from the description it finds in the .inf files.

André

0 Kudos
AHCMatt
Contributor
Contributor

It's no longer the case that they show up under vmware tools\drivers.  When I browse the install CD, only scsi drivers are in there.  After installing on my VMs, there are no NIC drivers under that directory.  Where on earth did they go?

0 Kudos
sastre
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Did you ever figure out the answer to this?

0 Kudos
wingnutx
Contributor
Contributor

The drivers are now under Program Files\Common Files\VMware\Drivers\

Wh33ly
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

If you don't have a VM with the correct tools, you can get the ISO directly from the ESX host.

The ISO is located in /vmimages/tools-isoimages/windows.iso

You will need the step p4k4k0 mentioned to extract the drivers and content which are in the setup

IcIVM
Contributor
Contributor

Here you have how to do it

VMware KB: Extracting the drivers from VMware Tools bundled with VMware Workstation

@p4p4k0 has the correct answer.

0 Kudos