VMware Cloud Community
yamibiker
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.0 Could not connect Error

I have scoured the internet for hours tonight and have come up empty.  My VM locked up on me and I was forced to hard reboot my host.  I confirmed ping between host and pc, successful.  But I am getting a timeout when attempting to log in through vsphere client to host.  I can connect through SSH, but don't know what commands to use.  A buddy says I might need to start a service.  My DC is on this VM (I know not smart) so now I am hard coding all IP addresses from the laptop to the server.

error.PNG

Thoughts?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Have you tried the steps in this KB Article?

VMware KB: Troubleshooting an unresponsive host and multiple Disconnected virtual machines

If you are getting a timeout on vSphere client you can use this KB

VMware KB: Diagnosing the vSphere Client when it fails to connect to an ESX/ESXi host or vCenter Ser...

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

yamibiker
Contributor
Contributor

Ok I started running through those and found on this KB:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&docTypeID=DT_KB_1_1&e...

Step 4 asks about port 902 which my understanding the vsphere client connects to.  I have my firewall turned off on my windows 8 machine by GPO, and I cannot telnet using putty to my server address on port 902.  I receive this error:

220 VMware Authentication Daemon Version 1.10: SSL Required, ServerDaemonProtocol:SOAP, MKSDisplayProtocol:VNC , VMXARGS supported

SSL: Unknown SSL Error

VMAuthdSocketRead: read failed.  Closing socket for reading.

I am assuming that I need to open this port.

Is there a command line I can do this with?

Message was edited by: yamibiker Oops I meant Port 903 is used by the client and the host.  But when I telnet to 903 the connection is closed by remote host.  so I believe I am still looking to open those ports.

0 Kudos
yamibiker
Contributor
Contributor

I needed to install telnet client on my computer.  I was able to telnet to 902, but not 903. 

Connecting To 10.1.1.99...Could not open connection to the host, on port 903: Connect failed

I appreciate the help on this.  I have restarted all of the services more than once as well.  Typically I can hard reset my host and bootup, then reconnect.  This time, it is being a pain.

0 Kudos
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Is this the same issue on all the machines?Do you have any other machine where a client is installed? can you try from there?

Please consider awarding points bu clicking on helpful/correct answer Smiley Happy

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
yamibiker
Contributor
Contributor

Windows 7 Laptop has vsphere client.  Win8 desktop has workstation 9 and then I upgraded to 10.  All three instances are producing the error.  I could only assume it is server related issues now, right?

0 Kudos
ScreamingSilenc

Can you try this KB : VMware KB: Cannot open the virtual machine console

Hope this helps you

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
yamibiker
Contributor
Contributor

Mustafa-

I attempted to follow: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&docTypeID=DT_KB_1_1&e...

where I ran any of the "esxcli network firewall ruleset set" commands.  I wanted to just open all ports to eliminated this hunting and pecking.  every command returned "Connect to localhost failed: Connection failure" on both the telnet and directly on the host as well.

0 Kudos
yamibiker
Contributor
Contributor

Ok well I think I have a handle on it.  The system would hang on booting NFSCLIENT and right now I do not have access to one of my hard drives, thus I believe it is hanging up on trying to initialize the HDD.  When it cannot, I believe it times out and proceeds to boot.  I have it up and running now with the new ESXi 5.5 with a couple Windows Server 2012 VMs.  I appreciate your help as each  response pushed me to realizing what I have.  I am now looking into putting my HDDs onto a NAS device in order to better maintain the integrity of the devices.

0 Kudos