VMware Cloud Community
Eagle11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi 4.x vMotion MTU

Hi,

Do we have to set the vMotion MTU size 9000 end to end when using ESXi 4.x with EMC FC SAN?

I have just Joined new company and i have noticed that the vds is not set to 9000 mtu for vmotion portgroup. also i have checked esxcfg-vmknic -l and the mtu is set to 1500.

I have worked before with ESX and ISCSI SAN where i have to set the mtu size to 9000 to the ISCSI and vmotion switchesnd and also the vmk intefaces.

Many thanks for anyhelp

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
vCloud9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Enabling Jumbo frames for vMotion network is recommended for best performance. if you are using storage through NFS/iSCSI then enabling jumbo frames make sense to increases performance.

-vCloud9

Please don't forget to award point for 'Correct' or 'Helpful', if you found the comment useful.
0 Kudos
Eagle11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How do i check if the jumbo frames are working because as i said before the mtu size is not set to 9000 on the Vmotion switch and vmk. However when i do

vmkping -s 9000 anotherhostname

or

vmkping -s 9000 VMotionIPaddress of another host

both command seems to be working fine but I was expecting it fail

see output

~ # vmkping p-dc-esx02 -s 9000
PING p-dc-esx02 (10.1.254.88): 9000 data bytes
9008 bytes from 10.1.254.88: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.278 ms
9008 bytes from 10.1.254.88: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.285 ms
9008 bytes from 10.1.254.88: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.507 ms

~ # vmkping -s 9000 10.1.243.5
PING 10.1.243.5 (10.1.243.5): 9000 data bytes
9008 bytes from 10.1.243.5: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=0.338 ms
9008 bytes from 10.1.243.5: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.261 ms
9008 bytes from 10.1.243.5: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.331 ms

so it seems like the mtu 9000 seems to be working although it is not been set on the dvswitch and vmk. is this correct?

please note: we don't have NFS/ISCSI storage but FC EMC SAN so the above issue is only relating to vMotion

thanks,

0 Kudos
vCloud9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am little confused, AFAIK, if jumbo frames are not enabled on NIC's/vSwitch/VMK you shouldnt be receiving the response.

-vCloud9

Please don't forget to award point for 'Correct' or 'Helpful', if you found the comment useful.
0 Kudos
Eagle11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That is exactly my point. it shouldn't work but it is. This is why i posted this question as i dont have experience with ESXi or FC SANs.

is it possible that ESXi does not need Jumbo Frames for vMotion?

0 Kudos
vCloud9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I remember reading one of VMware docs, clearly stating that for best performance VMware recommends enabling Jumbo frames on vMotion network as well.

-vCloud9

0 Kudos
elgreco81
Expert
Expert

Hi,

It doesn't "need" jumbo frames, it's just a best practice to improve performance.

I have little experience with vmkping, but according to this kb, it should be used with -d option too.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100372...

Does it make any sense?

Regards,

elgreco81

Please remember to mark as answered this question if you think it is and to reward the persons who helped you giving them the available points accordingly. IT blog in Spanish - http://chubascos.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
elgreco81
Expert
Expert

Jumbo Frames are for ethernet network according to this

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/400100

Regards,

elgreco81

Please remember to mark as answered this question if you think it is and to reward the persons who helped you giving them the available points accordingly. IT blog in Spanish - http://chubascos.wordpress.com
0 Kudos
Andr3201110141
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

FC SANs don't use an MTU so you don't need to take that into consideration. MTU and Jumbo Frames are Ethernet concepts. A Jumbo Frame is just frames that are greater than the conventional frames of 1500. As algreco81 said, it is better to have a higher MTU for performance reasons, but it is not a requirement for migrations to work. It only improves VM migrations (copying the running instance of a VM and its active RAM to from one host to another). The storage stays in place.

Good design comes from intelligence.
0 Kudos
Eagle11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi elgreco81

Thanks for your reply.

I have seen these link before But my question is about vMotion and NOT storage. I do understand that ISCSI storage need MTU 9000 and also vMotion need that as well as i worked before with ESX and ISCSI storage where i had enabled mtu 9000 to vMotion and storage.

But this discussion was about vMotion and ESXi 4.x.

The vmkping -d would have been the correct test but my ESX4.0 the -d option does not exist. See below link

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-4-esx-vcenter/index.jsp?topic=/com.vmware.vsphere.config_iscsi.doc_41...

As a result i cannot test it. and if i use just vmkping -s 9000 that seems to work fine although the mtu is not set on vds and uplink which makes me wonder how it is possible

Regards,

Eagle11

0 Kudos