VMware Cloud Community
p2k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi 4 with NIC Teaming: policy loadbalance_ip

Hi,

I upgraded one of my ESX Test-Servers to ESXi 4.0.0 164009 and I have this box connected to a Cisco switch via 2 Cables running Etherchannel on the wires.

I was able to add the second nic to the Management interface and set the network-policy to loadbalance_ip (as used with ESX 3.5 before) but it does not work.

Looking at 'vim-cmd /hostsvc/net/vswitch_info' I see that the second nic is referenced only as standbyNic not as active nic.

Is there a Command-Line possibility to change the second nic to active as well?

thanks

Philipp

0 Kudos
3 Replies
depping
Leadership
Leadership

Haven't tested it for ESX4 but it should be something like this:

vim-cmd “hostsvc/net/portgroup_set

–nicorderpolicy-active=vmnic0,vmnic2 vSwitch0

‘Service Console’”

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Blogging: http://www.yellow-bricks.com

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos
p2k
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks for that hint. That worked, but I still see only vmnic0 as active, vmnic1 still is standby.

To my knowledge I need both as active, which should work with

vswitch_setpolicy --nicorderpolicy-active=vmnic0,vmnic1 vSwitch0

but that fails.

I keep digging.

Strangely, if you enable the second NIC after the first reboot you can access the host with the vSphere client, and setup everything properly. Then after a reboot I had to reset the management interface to bring it up properly, but it worked. I installed newly, to check your solution, but so far, I didn't succeed.

Philipp

0 Kudos
depping
Leadership
Leadership

hmmm, this used to be the case with ESX 3.5 U2 or U3 also and it was solved. I will look into it when I have the time. Take a look at this article I wrote a while back, might help you for now;

http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2008/11/07/scripted-installs-and-nic-teaming/

Duncan

VMware Communities User Moderator | VCP | VCDX

-

Blogging:

Twitter:

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos