VMware Cloud Community
vibranze
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4 vCenter Client

Dear All,

Recently I tried out the ESXi 4 and I got a vCenter 4 standard license. I encounter a problem when I want to add a host in the Data Center, it prompt me an error :

"License not available to perform the operation. The ESXi 4 Single Server License for this Host x.x.x.x does not include vCenter agent for ESX Server. Upgrade the license."

1. Is this the limitation of ESXi? Any method to overcome this other than upgrade to ESX 4?

2. I or my company currently got 10 VDI licenses (for ESX3.5) and I tried to use this license for either ESX4 or ESXi4 without succeed, according to the VMware support, this VDI license can't be use for ESX4. Any way to convert/upgrade the license to ESX4 compatible? I understand the new term for VDI is VMware View so is my VDI license can be upgraded to VMware View license?

Thanks.

Cheers!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
beyondvm
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

2 things:

1. You should have gotten an esx license with your vcenter 4 standard license, it is a different serial number (check the license area of your account). If you did not, then you need to purchase an ESX liscense for the corresponding license level (standard) and the number of cores in your esx host

2. if you had licenses previously for esx 3.5 then you need to go though the license upgrade process to convert those licenses to vSphere licenses.

---

If you found any of my comments helpful please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!!

www.beyondvm.com

--- If you found any of my comments helpful please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful". Thanks!!! www.beyondvm.com
0 Kudos