VMware Cloud Community
akoustic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 4 ports required to be opened for remote access

Hi all,

I have recently setup an ESXi 4 on a client site and need to access it remotely via public Internet (yikes...). I need to know which ports require to be opened in the firewall so I can take control of this host remotely from home.

Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Kevin

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
gary1012
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This link outlines all ports/protocols required to get to VMware services through a FW.

You might be better served by creating a VM and then connecting to it versus direct to the host. If you're using Windows you could also setup RDP and only open that hole versus 80, 443, 902, 903, etc. Other options as mentioned above would be a VPN; something like W2K8 RDP gateway.

Community Supported, Community Rewarded - Please consider marking questions answered and awarding points to the correct post. It helps us all.

Community Supported, Community Rewarded - Please consider marking questions answered and awarding points to the correct post. It helps us all.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

I would probably set up a VPN connection to your customers internal network to be secure, however that's up to you and your customer.

For ports see http://www.vreference.com/2010/06/01/firewall-diagram-version-6/

André

0 Kudos
gary1012
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

This link outlines all ports/protocols required to get to VMware services through a FW.

You might be better served by creating a VM and then connecting to it versus direct to the host. If you're using Windows you could also setup RDP and only open that hole versus 80, 443, 902, 903, etc. Other options as mentioned above would be a VPN; something like W2K8 RDP gateway.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I would set up a dedicated workstation on the client site with the vSphere client and use RDP (Directly or through VPN). Remotely accessing a host using the vSphere client directly will be a less than ideal solution, especially if you have other issues.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator