VMware Cloud Community
gsfarrell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 4 loosing configuration on restart

I have used the ALT+F1 and unsupported feature to enable shh in the inetd.conf file. The issue I have is that when I reboot the server the configuration goes and the public key that I put in /.ssh has also gone. How do I make the confiuration change permanent?

I have reformatted the drive and reinstalled ESXi 4 which has not helped.

Regards,

Garry

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
mudtoe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You need to store the configuration data in a file called oem.tgz that's kept in the /bootbank directory. This file basically contains compressed versions of the files that you need to stick around between reboots. ESXi automatically expands this file at bootup, thus reconstituting your files. There are several good writeups on how to go about this for ESXi 3.5. As far as I know the procedure is the same for 4.0. Search for ESXi, SSH, keys, and oem.tgz, and you should be able to find the writeups.

mudtoe

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mudtoe
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You need to store the configuration data in a file called oem.tgz that's kept in the /bootbank directory. This file basically contains compressed versions of the files that you need to stick around between reboots. ESXi automatically expands this file at bootup, thus reconstituting your files. There are several good writeups on how to go about this for ESXi 3.5. As far as I know the procedure is the same for 4.0. Search for ESXi, SSH, keys, and oem.tgz, and you should be able to find the writeups.

mudtoe

0 Kudos