VMware Cloud Community
AlphaWavex
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4 hosting Windows XP, cant read IP adress

Hi,

I apologize if I dont post in the right section, i'm total beginner in vmware world.

I've bought a dedicated server to run multiple virtualizations, and after a night installing windows XP (slow uploading connection..) I can't figure out how to have internet in my windows XP. It keeps saying it's looking for an IP adress, doesnt find it and so use the default one '169.254.197.35'.

I'm managing my virtual server using vSphere. The server's running ESXi 4.1, ssh is enabled.

Can someone help me, I've been looking for 3 hours now on internet but didnt find anything.

There is NO way my windows xp gets ip adress, dns, .. and I dont know what to put if set manualy..

VMWare tools are installed by the way, but it didnt work neither before it was installed.

(May i need to set up a DHCP server in vSphere or on the server ?)

Thanks a lot.

Éric

0 Kudos
7 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

in order to automatically receive an IP address, you need to provide DHCP functionality. If you don't have a DHCP server in your network (e.g. dedicated DHCP server or a router with DHCP functionality) you could also configure a static IP address.

Please provide some information on how your virtual and physical network is configured and how you are connected to the Internet. Is the ESXi host connected to an internal network or do you need to use IP addresses from an ISP?

André

AlphaWavex
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks a lot for your reply,

Hum.. I've read on the ovh forum (my hoster) that they were not allowing VM to use their personnal MAC adress so they cant get ip adress from DHCP, or i may have not understand everything.. well, they say we must use NAT.

This is my server's configuration :

IP :my ip Smiley Happy
IPv6 :2001:xx-..-xx
MAC :my mac Smiley Happy
Switch :sw.42.246/6

I think the ESXi connects to an internal network (its their own datacenter with their routers / switchs etc..)

I have fail-over ip and one ip associated with a MAC adresse ("Virtual MAC for VPS")..

EDIT : here's a page explaining the situation with ovh server and how to potentialy solve the issue (link). But im not familiar with linux, when i connect to my server with putty and write what they say, it just says "ifconfig : not found".. Seems im not writing it the correct place..

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The documentation in the link you provided looks like this was an installation of a Linux host with VMware Server installed on to of it!?

I just took a look at the ovh homepage, but could not find any documentation about the setup. Do you have a link which describes how ESXi should be configured on your server?

André

PS: For security reasons, I'd recommend you remove/gray out the IP and MAC addresses from the previous post.

AlphaWavex
Contributor
Contributor

Hum, here are guides' main page, and here it talks about the Kernel but i'm sure it concerns me ?

I'm so completly lost.. I'd better install ubuntu on the server then VirtualBox that is much easier to use and I know well, do you not think ?..

I must try something, maybe i've found what to do : they say in a windows VM i must use the fail-over ip and subnest mask etc.. (here) so I did it, but where do I have to write

route add IP.DE.VOTREDEDIE.254 dev eth0
route add default gw IP.DE.VOTREDEDIE.254

Because when writing this in Putty it doesnt work (command not found)..

0 Kudos
sakibpavel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You have to configure IP address in your linux box and network adapter set to bridge mode. To configure IP address in linux box do like.

#vi /etc/sysconfig/network-script/ifcfg-eth0

press i for append mode and configure the ip address and save you work. That may help..

sakibpavel   
0 Kudos
AlphaWavex
Contributor
Contributor

Damn i wrote an answer long time ago but seems i didnt send it o:

Well i found the way to go ! Smiley Happy

I just had to use the IP adresse i associated with the "fail-over ip for vm" and use a personnal mac (the one i put with the fail over) and then it gets internet.

Thanks for helping me ! Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
AlphaWavex
Contributor
Contributor

With ovh dedicated servers, you must go to your account manager, add a fail over ip, then associate this ip to a random mac adress in section 'mac adresse for VM' (or something like that). In vSphere go to the VM's settings, make it use the mac you just got on the manager and set manual IP in windows, the fail-over you just configured.

0 Kudos