VMware Cloud Community
Mariusdp
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4 and raid management

Hi All,

I am messing around with ESXi 4 on a test server and i am trying to get raid management to work on the ESXi or on a guest OS. My raidcard is Adaptec 5405. I got it working with VCLi which sucks because there is no emails notification possible. No i wonder what do the big guys use to actually have a GUI interface possible or notification. Is HP or IBM able todo this in some way? Or am i taking a stab in the dark.. Any help would be awesome

0 Kudos
4 Replies
arturka
Expert
Expert

Hi

Welcome on community

No chance to make it work :smileyplain: on ESXi servers. On ESXi servers I use vCenter HW monitoring and sending alerts (SNMP or emails) via vCenter build in alert mechanism or if there is a IMM\RSA (IBM) or iLO (HP) module SNMP alerts are sent from modules. You can install on your server, IBM or HP costumize version of ESXi - it contains more drivers and more CIM modules which will give you better HW monitoring via vCenter.

VCDX77 My blog - http://vmwaremine.com
0 Kudos
Mariusdp
Contributor
Contributor

So are you saying that if i use the Adaptec card and install vCenter HW monitoring i should be able to manage the raid? Or will this just monitor it? Would my best bet be to change to a proper server/raid combination? If so who would you recomend as having a "usefull" raid management utility though ESXi..

Thanks alot

0 Kudos
arturka
Expert
Expert

Mariusdp wrote:

So are you saying that if i use the Adaptec card and install vCenter HW monitoring i should be able to manage the raid? Or will this just monitor it?

Just monitoring, you don't have to install vcetner HW monitoring it's a part of standard installation.

You have to understand one thing - there is no chance to install anything on ESXi. If you wanna manage your RAID via GUI or whatever you can give a try with ESX version (it has Linux based - RedHat - console and install VMware management package (if there is any) or try to install and work Linux package on ESX server - many people doing that and in general works without problems. But installing Linux package on ESX officially it is not supported.

VCDX77 My blog - http://vmwaremine.com
Mariusdp
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah i figured i had to install ESX. But everything is changing to ESXi so seems pointless to stay with ESX if they wont keep supporting it in the long run. I did manage to get the adaptec to report to me via arcconf and wow was that alot to figure out at first. Even when i installed it the HW monitoring didnt actually show my raid card correctly. yet all drivers are supported i even pulled a drive out of the raid just to see if the monitoring will pick anything up to no avail..  Seems hyperV is somewhat better if i want to manage the raid with a GUI and get monitoring going.

Is there maybe another way i am not thinking off or is it pretty straight forward? How to all the people in say datacenters manage their ESXi hosts? Or purely by  "more" supported hardware and hardware monitoring?

0 Kudos