VMware Cloud Community
frryd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 4 and VMware vSphere CLI

Hello,

I'm unable to start a discussion in the CLI community to I'm posting here.

When am trying to use CLI tools to handle some snapshots on an ESXi 4 server I get strange errors.

CMD: snapshotmanager.pl --server XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX --vmname XXXXXX --snapshotname Test --operation create

Result:

Fault:

SOAP Fault:

-

Fault string: fault.RestrictedVersion.summary

Fault detail: RestrictedVersionFault

Using the operation "list" works great but not create or remove.

Any idea why this does not work for a 4.0 host but is great for a 3.5?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

The reason it worked for you on ESXi 3.5 is probably the version you were using was either U2 or U3 where the VI API has an internal bug which allowed for both full read/write access allowing you to perform operations such as powering on a VM or taking a snapshot. As of ESXi 3.5u4 +, which includes 4.0 going forward, the VI API is read-only. Fore more details please take a look here: http://vmetc.com/2009/03/31/esxi-u4-ends-free-version-read-and-write-access-from-the-rcli/

You still have few options, either unlock the unsupported SSH console to automate snapshots using vimsh wrapper vim-cmd, use the VI Client or use VMware VIX and vmrun which currently is not governed by the VI API, take a look here for more information:

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
wessie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You're probably using the free license with ESXi4.

That means read-only cli access.

What license did you use with ESXi3?

0 Kudos
frryd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello wessie,

Thanks for your answer. You are correct I am using the free license. I also use the free license with 3.5 (latest version there as well) and it worked great.

So does that mean that VMware have removed the possibility to create/remove snapshots with the CLI tools in ESXi starting from version 4?

0 Kudos
wessie
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi frryd,

Looking at the FAQ (http://www.vmware.com/products/esxi/uses.html😞

What tools can I use to manage my free VMware ESXi license?

+VMware

recommends using VMware vSphere Client to manage VMware ESXi. You may

also query the VMware ESXi host with the vSphere Command-Line Interface

4.0 (vCLI). *Note that the free version of VMware ESXi does not allow

any configuration changes for the VMware ESXi host through the vCLI.*

Further, managing a VMware ESXi host with VMware vCenter Server requires a VMware vCenter Server Agent license for each host, which is included in all editions of VMware vSphere.+

</dd></dl>

I don't know of any list of features that is read/write or not.

So probably they did remove the create/remove -snapshot feature.

frryd
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks again wessie!

I will monitor this question until someone that knows for sure if this should work or not.

Making snapshots and removing snapshots is does not really fall under the category "changing configuration"...

0 Kudos
lamw
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

The reason it worked for you on ESXi 3.5 is probably the version you were using was either U2 or U3 where the VI API has an internal bug which allowed for both full read/write access allowing you to perform operations such as powering on a VM or taking a snapshot. As of ESXi 3.5u4 +, which includes 4.0 going forward, the VI API is read-only. Fore more details please take a look here: http://vmetc.com/2009/03/31/esxi-u4-ends-free-version-read-and-write-access-from-the-rcli/

You still have few options, either unlock the unsupported SSH console to automate snapshots using vimsh wrapper vim-cmd, use the VI Client or use VMware VIX and vmrun which currently is not governed by the VI API, take a look here for more information:

=========================================================================

William Lam

VMware vExpert 2009

VMware ESX/ESXi scripts and resources at:

VMware Code Central - Scripts/Sample code for Developers and Administrators

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".

0 Kudos