VMware Cloud Community
pkirklewski
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ESXi 4 VSphere License

Hi there

I decided not to buy the license (My server says it's 12 days left)

I have only one machine on that server and it's version 7.

The question is plain and simple :

Will stop working when the trial expires ???

This would be a disaster, I would have to rebuild the machine as ver 4.

Best regards

Peter

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal

you will not be able to power cycle the guest when you trial expires.

If you are using ESXi4, it's free, why not register for the download? Once done, you will be sent a key, so that your environment does not expire

https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/index.php?p=free-esxi&lp=1

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

If you register get the free licesnse, you can apply the free licenmse to your ESXi host.

this will remove all the add on functionaility that you are getting on your trial license, but you will be able to continue running your VMs and even reboot the host of needed.

Needless to say VC will stop working.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
Gerrit_Lehr
Commander
Commander

You don't need to buy ESXi at all since it is completely free in stand-alone mode. Just register on

https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/index.php?p=free-esxi&lp=1

and get your own free license to use ESXi without restrictions in stand-alone mode.

Kind Regards,

Gerrit Lehr

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

Kind regards, Gerrit Lehr If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
DesmondChen
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same question. We just installed ESXi 4, installed the vSphere client from the installed host.

However, when I start the vSphere client, it says it will expire in 60 days and theres is an expiration warning on the vShpere client at all time (lower right hand coner).

Did we miss a registration step or we just won't able to manage the host remotely after the trial expires?

Many thanks

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Just log in to download ESXi. Your license key will be displayed.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
DesmondChen
Contributor
Contributor

Called VMWare, got a key with no questions asked, entered the key and the expiration warning is gone.

Cheers!

0 Kudos