VMware Cloud Community
legacyb4
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 4 Installable & Server Drivers?

Just unpacked my server and testing out ESXi 4 for the first time. With your traditional server/OS installation, you can use the hardware vendor's (in my case, Dell) CD/DVD to run the intial server setup to control the OS installation so that all the drivers are installed as needed. Is this the same procedure for ESXi or do I just boot straight off the installer CD and not worry about it?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
microkid
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Just boot the ESXi CD or plug in the ESXi USB stick and follow the instructions on screen. Easy as that. No need to install any hardware related software or drivers.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
microkid
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

Just boot the ESXi CD or plug in the ESXi USB stick and follow the instructions on screen. Easy as that. No need to install any hardware related software or drivers.

0 Kudos
legacyb4
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

So that's all there is to it? I'm up and running within 10 minutes after putting my server on the rack and plugging it in then... that's cool. Since I didn't have the option to get my server with the embedded ESXi, I followed some instructions and made a home-brew 1GB USB (Cruzer mini) stick. Is that sufficient or should I get a larger capacity keychain? Not sure how future patching of ESXi will work (assuming the patch application will simply "see" the USB stick as a drive?) so I'm just testing at this point.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

1gb is all that is needed.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator