VMware Cloud Community
GlenS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 4 IBM Installation

Dear All

I currently have 7 Host's which are all IBM X Series Servers which are all running ESXi 4.1.

If my understanding is correct... in order to use IBM UpdateXpress on these hosts I will need to replace the version of ESXi that is currently on the hosts to the IBM version of ESXi ?

So my first question is.. is the above correct?

My second question is... can I install this over my current version without losing any settings such as NIC cards IP address's etc..  I do not have any VM's running on the local disks of the hosts they are all stored on a large SAN unit.

Is there anyone that has done this procedure?

Many Thanks

Regards

Glen

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cdc1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The IBM-Customized ESXi 4U1 ISO can be downloaded from here:  http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/x/os/vmware/esxi/

Note:  This ISO adds IBM-specific IHV drivers and additional hardware sensors.  (For example, on an HS22V blade, an additional 23 hardware sensors are added by using the IBM-customized ISO.)  I recommend you reinstall by using it when you can, but be aware that you will lose IP information and vSwitch configuration for your hosts.

For firmware updates, you can use one of the UpdateXpress packs, but my personal preference is the Bootable Media Creator, which you can download from here: http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=TOOL-BOMC

With that tool, you can create bootable USB keys to use for updating system firmware (very handy for systems without the Virtual Media Key option, or a local optical drive.)

Regardless of which option you choose, the IBM-recommended update sequence for updating firmware-type code is:

1. IMM, followed by

2. UEFI, ending with

3. Diags.

Edit:  I should probably add that it is supported by VMware to install VMware patches to an ESXi system that has been originally installed from an IBM-customized ISO.  It is not supposed to affect those customizations (well, I haven't come across any situations where it has yet.)

(You will also lose Resource Pool configurations when you reinstall, as well as NTP settings, etc.  Basically, everything you did in the Configuration tab after the initial install will have to be done over again, except for shared storage.  Your shared datastores should show up, with all of the VM's on them intact.  But, you may have to do a rescan, or just wait until a scheduled rescan happens, before they'll show up again.)

Message was edited by: cdc

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If you want to update only the server firmware, you only need to boot with the Xpress Update and upgrade, this does not cause any loss of configuration.

If you want to update the VMware host, you need to take the machines local disk, but as you said you are in the Storage, just recommend that at the time of reinstação vSphere you disconnect the fiber cables for security to not install the vSphere site wrong. With reinstallation you lose the IP configuration, etc ... with patching update vSphere nothing to lose.

Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. 

Mauro Bonder - Moderator

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
cdc1
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

The IBM-Customized ESXi 4U1 ISO can be downloaded from here:  http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/x/os/vmware/esxi/

Note:  This ISO adds IBM-specific IHV drivers and additional hardware sensors.  (For example, on an HS22V blade, an additional 23 hardware sensors are added by using the IBM-customized ISO.)  I recommend you reinstall by using it when you can, but be aware that you will lose IP information and vSwitch configuration for your hosts.

For firmware updates, you can use one of the UpdateXpress packs, but my personal preference is the Bootable Media Creator, which you can download from here: http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?lndocid=TOOL-BOMC

With that tool, you can create bootable USB keys to use for updating system firmware (very handy for systems without the Virtual Media Key option, or a local optical drive.)

Regardless of which option you choose, the IBM-recommended update sequence for updating firmware-type code is:

1. IMM, followed by

2. UEFI, ending with

3. Diags.

Edit:  I should probably add that it is supported by VMware to install VMware patches to an ESXi system that has been originally installed from an IBM-customized ISO.  It is not supposed to affect those customizations (well, I haven't come across any situations where it has yet.)

(You will also lose Resource Pool configurations when you reinstall, as well as NTP settings, etc.  Basically, everything you did in the Configuration tab after the initial install will have to be done over again, except for shared storage.  Your shared datastores should show up, with all of the VM's on them intact.  But, you may have to do a rescan, or just wait until a scheduled rescan happens, before they'll show up again.)

Message was edited by: cdc

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

i too prefer Bootable Media Creator. you can install this image without any problem. But you´ll loss all configurations of networking and other (Port Group). Certify if you don´t have any virtual machine in local disk. And if you have SAN connected in this server, if possible unplug all fiber channel to do new installation, it´s is by safety only.

Go ahead. Any question, post here that all help you.

Good Luck.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
GlenS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you all for yout replies.

I will post back with any problems, but I think it will be pretty straight forward

Best Regards

Glen

0 Kudos