VMware Cloud Community
EnriquePhoenix
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4 How should I setup my Sata Array?

I am about to install ESXi 4 on a HP DL 365. It contains 5 - 146GB Sata Drives. How should I setup my Raid Array? Should I create 1 big array or 2 arrays, so that ESXi OS runs on one and the Virtual Machine run on other. Any insight will be helpfull Thx!

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

When ESXi boots it creates a RAM drive and doesn't really write to disk that much so any disks dedicated to booting ESXi would be under utilized. What sort of controller do you have in the DS365?

Dave

VMware Communities User Moderator

New book in town - vSphere Quick Start Guide -http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2009/08/12/new-book-in-town-vsphere-quick-start-guide/.

Do you have a system or PCI card working with VMDirectPath? Submit your specs to the Unofficial VMDirectPath HCL - http://www.vm-help.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=21.

0 Kudos
Rumple
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

First off, Are those SATA or SAS? I would guess you meant SAS drives (since SATA comes in 150GB Sizes and SCSI/SAS is usually refered to as 146GB Sizes

Seconds, make sure that controller has a BBWC (batter backup cache) or its not going to matter alot which configuration you have, your performance is going to be pretty bad.

Next, it all depends on how many VM's you want to run, the type of performance you expect to require, and your comfort with drive failure effects.

If you only have 5x146GB Drives, then I would go with maximum space configuration or maximum performance

RAID 5 is going to give you 530GB or so...30GB used for VMWARE Installation and 500gb for VM's... In a small test or non busy environment thats upwards of 30VM's (more then recommended on a single volume, but overall I doubt you will get that many VM's anyhow. More likely to have fewer with larger disk sizes.

If you want pure performance and recovery, then go with 4xRAID0+1 and a hotspace...thats roughly 268GB of vmfs space onboard...or safely 14 - Windows 2008 Standard VM's with standard disk size of 15GB (Windows 2003 usually has drive of 12-15GB on average) and that leaves space for snapshots,etc.

You could also go with 2x146Gb RAID1, 3xraid 5 - but since ESX doesn't need that much space (134Gb) you will end up with a roughtly 100gb vmfs volume and a 268Gb volume.

I just realized you said esxi so not much space at all for the install...certainly not 30gb...

0 Kudos