VMware Cloud Community
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

ESXi 4: Error in live migration (VMotion) to different Datastore (Local SATA to iSCSI SAN)

Hi All,

I'm having problem in the Live VM migration into different datastore, the spec of the VM is just Windows 2003 x64 installed with the latest VMWare tools.

here is the error message:

Relocate virtual machine

Win2003x64_RST01

A general system error occurred: Source detected that destination failed to resume.

Migrating the active state of Virtual Machine

any idea of what might cause this please ?

Kind Regards,

AWT

/* Please feel free to provide any comments or input you may have. */
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Martin_Norrsken
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Double check that the ESX4 machine has the Virtualization and Data execution prevention flags enabled in the BIOS. I could move vmotion 32 bit machines without the VT flag enabled in BIOS but 64 bit machines could not start before I enabled the VT flag in BIOS.

Also try clearing the CPU mask of the source VM before migrating, providing the hosts have the same hardware.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Texiwill
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Hello,

Moved to the ESXi 4 forum.

Note In order to relocate a VM to a different data store while it is running you would use Storage VMotion and not just VMotion.

Best regards,

Edward L. Haletky VMware Communities User Moderator, VMware vExpert 2009, Virtualization Practice Analyst[/url]
Now Available: 'VMware vSphere(TM) and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing the Virtual Environment'[/url]
Also available 'VMWare ESX Server in the Enterprise'[/url]
[url=http://www.astroarch.com/wiki/index.php/Blog_Roll]SearchVMware Pro[/url]|Blue Gears[/url]|Top Virtualization Security Links[/url]|Virtualization Security Round Table Podcast[/url]

--
Edward L. Haletky
vExpert XIV: 2009-2023,
VMTN Community Moderator
vSphere Upgrade Saga: https://www.astroarch.com/blogs
GitHub Repo: https://github.com/Texiwill
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Thanks for the correction Texiwill,

I update this thread with the screenshot of failed to storage VMotion non Windows VM, I don't know why some of the Windows VM is OK with Storage VMotion but not some VM ?

I couldn't draw any conclusion from this case apart from *** Any VM with Snapshot or CD-ROM attached to ISO in a datastore does not support VMotion ***, CMIIW

Kind Regards,

AWT

0 Kudos
ShaneWendel
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Validations all passed to this point without any warnings?

-

Shane Wendel, VCP

----------------- Shane Wendel VCP: vSphere 4 VCP: VI3 http://fatalsync.wordpress.com
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Yes, all is passed until it failed by itself like that. I highlighted three of those VMs and then Right CLick and click on MIGRATE, then select different datastore and make VM size the same as the original.

then it failed ?

Kind Regards,

AWT

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Do you happen to have the vmkernel log or the vmware.log of the VM's that failed?

0 Kudos
Martin_Norrsken
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Double check that the ESX4 machine has the Virtualization and Data execution prevention flags enabled in the BIOS. I could move vmotion 32 bit machines without the VT flag enabled in BIOS but 64 bit machines could not start before I enabled the VT flag in BIOS.

Also try clearing the CPU mask of the source VM before migrating, providing the hosts have the same hardware.

0 Kudos
Martin_Norrsken
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

You also have to have enough space on the destination host to allow for a swapfile the same size as the virtual machines memory size.

0 Kudos
AlbertWT
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Cool man, I didn't think to do that before Smiley Happy

it is the Guest OS specific problem.

thanks for the advice.

Kind Regards,

AWT

0 Kudos