VMware Cloud Community
beerdini
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4 DMZ and Internal Network Communication

I have an ESXi 4 server with 2 NIC cards that I'm trying to create a poor man's disaster recovery environment with.  I have one NIC configured for my normal environment, we'll call it network 192.168.0.0, and my DMZ that I'll call network 192.168.2.0, both are class C networks.  Each of the 2 networks are configured separately for each NIC card.  Card 1 is x.x.0.x network, card 2 is x.x.2.x network.

In ESXi I've configured 2 vSwitches, one for each network using .1 for the switch/gateway IP address for each switch's network.  I have a machine in my DMZ that needs to talk with a DB server on my internal network.  I can ping each .1 address for the opposite network from each of the machines that need to talk to the other network, but it won't ping the actual machine's IP address.

What else do I need to do to make these networks communicate with each other?  Currently in my test environment, both NICs are going to a mini switch and have no Internet access.  In my true Disaster Recovery environment each port from the DR server would be plugged into the correct Internal and DMZ ports of my firewall and would have Internet access through the firewall as well.  I just don't have access to equipment or extra Internet connections for setting up my DR environment.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Walfordr
Expert
Expert

Do you have any firewalls enabled in the guest OS?  If windows make sure the windows firewall is off.  If 2k8 make sure the firewall is fully off under the advanced firewall settings.

How did you add two gateway in ESXi?  You can only add one gateway for the entire host.

Robert -- BSIT, VCP3/VCP4, A+, MCP (Wow I haven't updated my profile since 4.1 days) -- Please consider awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers.
0 Kudos