VMware Cloud Community
CarlosHy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 4 Cannot decrease Virtual HD size

Hi everyone,

I would like to decrease the Provisioned Size of some of my Datastore Virtual Hard Disks. However, I am only able to increase it, not decrease...

I have tried on both thick and thin virtual hard disks, but it does not work on neither.

All Virtual Hard Disks have the following features:

- SCSI controller: LSI Logic SAS

- Virtual Device Node: SCSI

Any ideas? Many thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
12 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thick virtual disks can't be decreased. Here you need to create a new smaller disk and transfer the data.

Thin virtual disks can be shrinked by using Storage vMotion. Move the disk to a different datastore by choosing/keeping the thin format.

For both types of disk you can also use the VMware Converter. It allows to resize a virtual disk (by creating a new guest which is a clone of an existing one).

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
Nikhil_Patwa
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi,

Agree with AWo, use VMWare Standalone Converter to convert the VMs you need to resize the hard disk (increase/decrease). The converter is a free tool from VMWare and is a very handy one with lots of features.

Nikhil

0 Kudos
CarlosHy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

First of all, many thanks for your replies.

I have installed VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 4.0.1. Then I have followed the Convert Machine process.

As source I have selected the VM I want to HD resize (e.g. s3), as destinaton I cannot select the same VM, thus I have selected a new one (e.g s9).

On View/Edit options tab, I am able to change all the VM settings (NIC, Memory, Num. Processors) except the HD Size...

Any ideas?

P.S.: I have also tried to followed the Configure Machine Wizard, but does not allow me to change HD settings.

Many thanks again!

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

under Data Copy Type: Click on the drop down and choose Select Volumes to copy. There you should then get the option to resize the disk

0 Kudos
CarlosHy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thaks Troy Clavell,

Copy all disks and mantain layout is the only option I can choose. The source OS is a Windows 7.+ Why?+

I have done the same process using a Windows Server 2008 Enterprise R2 as a source and happens the same....

Thanks!

0 Kudos
CarlosHy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have a possible reason...

Selecting the source I had the following error: Unable to obtain hardware information for the selected machine. In order to be able to select the desired VM as a source I have followed this VMware thread: http://communities.vmware.com/thread/206327. Summarizing, to avoid this issue, the "solution" is change the OS type on the source VM to Windows XP 32bit (Edit Settings -> Options tab -> Version). Then this VM can be selected as a Source.

s3, my source VM is a Windows 7.

If I try with a real Win XP 32 bits as a sourc, I am able to change HD settings...

So, how can I select s3 as a source without swaping OS settings to Win XP 32 bits?

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
CarlosHy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, thanks troy, I will try it. Needs to uninstall old version or can be update d?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

I usually uninstall the previous version and then install the new.

0 Kudos
CarlosHy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Many thanks Troy Clavell,

I have installed version 4.3 and I am converting... Cool!

Is this process dangerous to the soure VM?

0 Kudos
Troy_Clavell
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

not dangerous at all, enjoy!

0 Kudos
CarlosHy
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Awesome! Thank you!