VMware Cloud Community
JJonesHAS
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4.1 to 5.0, what happend?

I have been using 4.x on a 4 year old machine for the last... IDK year, and when I did the upgrade to 5.0 it booted once to the main screen, I was unable to create VM's because it kept freezing and  now it won't even boot... So I decided to test 5.0 on another machine that I have it is also about 4 years old, but a lot better internals. So, it installed greate, everything was good and running perfectly, then the power went out in my place and since then, I have been having the same issue as the other machine. I don't understand why the change... Is there a way to install this? Let me know what info anyone is looking for, I would like to get this install and running on my better Box, it is running a Intel D975BX with a X6800 and 8GB. Thank you!

`JJ

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

there are a lot of changes in the certified hardware support between v4 and v5. my guess is that v5 no longer able to run your whitebox anymore .. any error message? how about trying to boot from ESXi on usb stick?

0 Kudos
JJonesHAS
Contributor
Contributor

For my less powerfull Whitebox, it would tell me that "Virtualization" wasn't turned on in my BIOS... I rolled back to 4.1 on both machines... I upgraded my More powerful machine to 5 and it works fine??? So I couldn't do a direct install of the software??? I had to do an upgrade for it to work... I am testing my other machine tonight with the same process.

0 Kudos
Datto
Expert
Expert

You may want to run an MD5 checksum on your downloaded files of ESXi 5.0. It could be that your download of the product didn't come down and land intact.

Datto

0 Kudos