VMware Cloud Community
xooops
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4.1 partitioning

Hello VMware community

We plan to install new Hosts with ESXi 4.1 U1 and upgrade later our ESX 4.0 Hosts to ESXi 4.1 U1 as well.

At the moment we don't use ESXi. My Question is is partitioning still a question? I didn't found some related information on the web.

regards, Sven

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

If you are using version ESXi does not need partitioning. (Best pratices http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1022101)
If you choose the version of ESX that I suggest a look at best practices http://vmetc.com/2009/07/22/best-practices-for-vsphere-esx-4-service-console-partitions/

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
xooops
Contributor
Contributor

Hello Mauro

regarding next esx releases we plan to change to ESXi.

What's about log files? where does ESXi store the log? How big is this "partition"?

regards, Sven

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Here is the common log file structure in ESX (Source)

* /var/log/vmware/hostd.log – ESX Service Log
    * var/log/vmware/vpx/vpxa.log – vSphere Client Agent Logs
    * /var/log/vmware/aam – VMware HA Logs
    * /var/logvmkernel – VMKernel Messages
    * /var/log/vmkwarning – VMKernel Warnings
    * /var/log/messages – Service Console Log

Here is the common log file structure in ESXi

* /var/log/vmware/hostd.log – ESXi Service Log
    * var/log/vmware/vpx/vpxa.log – vCenter Agent Logs
    * /var/log/messages – Syslog Log (Combines vmkernel & hostd)

If you prefer, can export logs with VI CLIENT > File > Export > Export Diagnostic Data

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

If you use local hard drives for ESXi and datastores then you should create a 5GB virtual LUN using the array creation tools for your hardware. ESXI will take care of partitioning the 5GB virtual LUN (it may be called other things like virtual disk depending on the manufacturer). It will use 1GB for ESXi and create a 4GB scratch disk. Installing to a virtual LUN decreases the risk of overwriting a datastore should a reinstall be necessary.

If you have shared storage I would forgo using local disks and install ESXi to either USB or SD card if your hardware has support for it. Most new major server manufacturers have internal USB or SD card slots specifically for installing ESXi. Most can ship ESXi pre installed in those internal devices.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

I agree here - install to USB / SD.

This leaves all disks untouched (other than swap) - so you can manage the location of this and you can remove / replace disks at your own leisure without any risk.

My preference is always USB / SD installation - as it give me the added bonus of being able to remove and duplicate a USB key before migration / upgrade of ESXi

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos